Chrome is overtaking ...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That's quite interesting. I think Chrome's simplicity is a lot of its appeal. Plus as a whole, its extensions are reliable & easy to install & uninstall. It can still break pages that Firefox doesn't though. Plus, some form of well developed extension similar to NoScript would be an advantage. To be honest though, most of the people I know personally are an almost 50/50 split on the matter. It seems to me that about half use Firefox & the other half swear by Chrome. The default browser on my desktop is Chrome (it would have been Iron but for Iron's slight instability problems) but Firefox 4 is now the default on my notebook.

I remember first downloading Firefox #2 & thinking it was the dog's bollocks, I was converted instantly & have never really gone back to using IE. However, Firefox #3 was a bit problematical for me & I started to look at other browsers, SeaMonkey particularly impressed me, although it goes through phases of breaking my mail & other things, I tried Opera for a while (:mad: ) & the excellent but slightly dated in some respects K-Meleon but it was SRWare Iron that I found I was using the most. Unfortunately it was always having some problems. When Google stopped a lot of the tracking stuff I tried Chrome.

The great thing at the moment is that there is so much really good freeware choice, Open Source or proprietary.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I actually just saw an ad on TV in the US about Chrome - they are putting some effort behind establishing its brand and it does appear to be working quite well.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm keeping both Firefox and Chrome current though I'll mostly be using Firefox. That's because I rate usability and customization highly. My security needs are taken care outside of the browser.

5. Daveski17

I am just slow or has Chrome just updated (11.0.696.65) today?

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Interesting. I'm trying to like Chrome, but it has some quirks that I just don't have with Firefox. That said, I've uninstalled Chrome.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

same here went back to ff4..

9. hpmnick

hpmnick Registered Member

Other than lack of certain extensions, what do people not like about chrome?

The biggest annoyance I had was a new tab didn't bring up the home page, but I simply found a "new tab" extension that fixed that.

10. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Easy one for me. Can't stop auto updating (AFAIK). I run my browser, it doesn't run me! ;)

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

While I won't/don't run Chrome, I have messed a bit with Iron Portable. I assume the settings in Iron v 11 are similar to Chrome 11. I just set the Script settings as shown and manage the white list manually. Very similar to NoScript IMO...

Attached Files:

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It looks and behaves like a toy.
    There's something childish about it, in my opinion.
    And some aspects could do with more control.
    Mrk

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

My language version isn't and weren't properly translated, having bits of English sentences.

I actually provided a proper translation for what I could spot and they did change all the way up, from Chromium to Chrome.

There are some parts still in English.

This makes it look unprofessional and awkward. That said, I use Chromium. :)

14. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

That was also my reaction when I began to use it as my default browser, back in October 2010. But I am still using it, several hours a day, and have no plans to change.

15. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i know it's a nuisance but that can be disabled.

or even better for me is just to use a portable version.
    or Chromium. :)

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Easily the level of customization. Can you easily change Chrome's interface? Can you tweak it to the level of about:config? The Firefox extensions tend to be better and more fully-featured as well.

As for the market share, I'm a bit surprised. Chrome does deserve it though.

17. Daveski17

I often do this with Iron/Chrome, but sometimes it gets a bit annoying. Plus the extensions won't work with the JS off. There is NotScripts, but as an extension, it tends to work far better in Opera.

18. Daveski17

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

In the last 5 years I've tried many browsers for long periods, Opera first and then Firefox. I've had Chrome since Google first launched it. They are all excellent (I'm not a geek therefore I can't tell much technically about them) but Chrome always felt right on all my notebooks, speed and security being the most notable features I appreciate about it.

Breaking the 20% market share, for such a young browser is certainly remarkable, the question is now will it manage one day to challenge MS IE?

20. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Google advertises Chrome very aggressively. There are ads on a lot of popular websites and it comes with some popular software.

21. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I have made switch to Google Chrome since version 6 from Firefox (was user since version 2). Google Chrome speed, security, simplicity, and huge gallery of extensions/themes are impressive features for me. I think it deserves good market share :)

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I remember some ads featuring The Rolling Stones and Jerry Seinfeld.

23. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1. :thumb:

24. Daveski17

Not unless it is bundled with Windows. Of course, when the Google OS is released Chrome will almost certainly be its default browser. Well, I think Google had plans to release a freeware operating system, I haven't heard much about it for a while.

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This site is quite decent about covering all things Google, including the OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.