Chrome: install in program files or user space

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jdd58, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Is it better to install Chrome in ProgramFiles or user space? Does it make any difference if running SUA or SRP? I'm not only wondering about security but update problems, etc.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Both are considered user space. The User/* folder is different.

I would say just use the /user/* folder since that's the typical installation area.

3. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I'll give the user folder a try. I used to download the googlechromeenterprise.msi in the past before I started using Chromium. It installed in ProgramFiles. One thing I noticed was when a new version installed the old version folders were kept causing me to have to clean house one in a while.

4. hpmnick

hpmnick Registered Member

If you use SRP, I'd install into program files. For SRP to be effective, you need to limit execution to places that are not user writable. In theory, if you allow executables to run in user space through SRP, nothing is really stopping an exploit from overwriting your exempt files.

Will it actually happen? Probably not... Could it happen? Definitely.

Google updates fine nowadays, and the enterprise installer is perfectly stable from what I've seen. I have it on about 100 computers, and the googleupdater runs as a service..

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

AFAIK, I thought installing Chrome under Program Files was only possible using the Google Pack download option, which has been since discontinued.

Also, I don't see how ProgramFiles is considered user space or am I missing something?

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

They're talking about the enterprise .msi. I think that has other options.

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You could install Google Chrome to Program Files with the main installer already. You just had to install Google Chrome using Windows cmd line, with the parameter -system-level.

You could also use the msi installer.

Now, Google has a page with both installers:

http://www.google.com/support/installer/bin/answer.py?answer=126299

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Okay, I hadn't seen those options before. Thanks for the clarification vasa and m00nbl00d :)

9. m00nbl00d

Yes, you have (the -system-level parameter)... I remember a thread where I mentioned it to you. :D You need to quit consuming some Java. :argh:

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

haha...I'd be even worse off without my daily java quota :D Do you remember where that thread is? I'd like to revisit it.

11. m00nbl00d

I'll try to find it. But, now that I start to think about it, I'm not sure if it's -system-level or /systemlevel. I'll have to redownload Google Chrome and recheck it.

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No worries, I found it :)

-http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1768793&postcount=8

I kinda remember that thread but I never got around to trying your suggestion at the time.

13. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I noticed that the link Moonblood referred to will download an exe file where this link http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?msi=true will provide you with an msi file. What's the difference between the two?

Thanks for your replies by the way.

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's not.

15. m00nbl00d

Good question. I downloaded the installer meant for multiple user account from the link I provided, and I don't know why, it won't install to Program Files. AFAICS, it seems the standard installer? o_O Also, none of the parameters I previously mentioned work with it, either.

The only installer that actually install to Program Files seems to be the MSI installer.

I wonder if Google screwed it up, and it's linking the links in the URL I provided to the same installer?

16. Hungry Man

Web definitions

A conventional computer operating system usually segregates virtual memory into kernel space and user space. Kernel space is strictly reserved for running the kernel, kernel extensions, and most device drivers. In contrast, user space is the memory area where all user mode applications work and this memory can be swapped out when necessary....
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Userspace

Not to be confused with your user folder, partition, or what have you. Anything you put on your computer or install is a userspace application.

EDIT: I hadn't seen your question until Funkdude's quote. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  17. m00nbl00d

I think there is a confusion between user space and user level. There's user level and system level. User level affects the current user, while system level (system wide) affects all accounts.

So, one could say that Google Chrome's standard installer installs at user level.

I hope I'm not the use confusing myself, though. :argh: :argh:

18. Hungry Man

It installs to the user profile or user folder or even user partition if that's how you have it set up. You can call it any of those things.

I was only trying to clarify that userspace and the user profile are two different terms. Just to make things easier in the future so no one gets confused.

EDIT: eh nvm I had a link but it'll just cause confusion =p

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  19. m00nbl00d

I wasn't replying to you. It was a general comment. :D I've noticed for quite sometime that people confuse user space with user level.

20. Hungry Man

Okay =p

21. m00nbl00d

By the way, can anyone download Google Chrome offline installers (I didn't try the online installer), using IE9? I tried to download it today in a relative's system, but IE9 download manager said it couldn't. But, I could with Free Download Manager, though.

22. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

IE9 is working for me. Is there a TPL or something blocking ssl.google-analytics.com?

23. m00nbl00d

I didn't think of that. My relative does use some TPLs. From fanboy if I'm not mistaken.

I'll check it later on. I'd never thought about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.