Chrome extension ChromeDust fights browser fingerprinting

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by MrBrian, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. tlu

tlu Guest

Interesting. However, after installing it I couldn't see any effect on ip-check.info :doubt:

3. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Was HTTPSB active? Chrome API does not allow more than one extension to change the HTTP headers. So this is either HTTPSB stripping cookies and referer from the headers, or ChromeDust editing user agent string from the headers, but not both.

4. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, HTTPSB was active. However, I also tried it with HTTPSB disabled and didn't see any difference ... Nevertheless, perhaps its features could be implemented in HTTPSB, too?

5. gorhill

gorhill Guest

I have been thinking implementing this since early in the project, but I have to admit I have a hard time to come up with the optimal solution. I don't want the project to come up with its own hard-coded list of User-Agent strings, I just can't afford to maintain such a list, and assign myself the responsibility of picking these User-Agent strings which choices would always be something debatable.

So my thought is currently to allow the user himself to enter say, up to 10 strings which HTTPSB will shuffle randomly, so that takes care of the project having to maintain a list. User take care of its own list, hopefully with good advices from the community.

I also want to avoid too many settings, so this is where my mind is not set: the minimum set of settings which address the fingerprinting issue re User-Agent string but which will not bloat the Settings page (and confuse the user).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.