Chrome browser will block malware downloads

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. guest

guest Guest

Let me guess, it will work like DNS filtering services?

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You wouldn't be able to download it or access the site (if it hosts the file) in that case.

Didn't they already add download reputation protection? Wonder what's technically new.

4. guest

guest Guest

That's the only sensible option IMO. What else? Make use of VirusTotal database is way to dependent to its users. Wouldn't be so effective.

Maybe they'll add a heuristic engine. :ninja:

5. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

That's good news. The only problem is that Chrome doesn't have bookmarks menu... So big no no for me.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I don't seem to be missing anything with Chrome's bookmark toolbar and the "Other bookmarks" folder on it? The full bookmarks menu is always available in "Wrench (three bars) > Bookmarks", which shows the same items.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well, if it will block downloads, it will be time to change browser after a long time. :doubt:
    You can have more than 35 bookmark favicons on the small resolution for a quick access, so why to use a bookmark menu?

8. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Download reputation protection is not the same as blocking unwanted downloads, like drive-by downloads, exploits and etc. this is what Google Chrome needs, Firefox has extension called Public Fox, which thanks to password protection blocks any kind of downloads, sou if something wants to download itself it must broke through your password protection.
    I'm actually hoping Google Chrome will use restrictions like SBIE 4-hopefully in newer version plus Public Fox type blockings with passoword protection of unwanted drive-by downloads and downloads of exploits and everything else.

9. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Thanks for the info on Public Fox. I'll give it a try. I've been looking for something that would add some muscle to firefox. :thumb:

10. ichito

ichito Registered Member

11. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Incorporate browser scripting control, download from only official websites and don't click email links. That should be all it takes. I don't like the idea of adding more code to the browser to block something that can easily be stopped with currently available means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.