Chrome and "secure preferences" feature preventing migration

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chrcol, Nov 6, 2017.

1. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

So Chrome has a "secure preferences" feature.

What it does it matches up the saved profile to a machine SID, and if the two dont match then chrome will reset the settings when chrome is started up. Presumably its an anti malware feature.

The problem is it prevents migrating chrome profiles between different machines.

As is usual with google this isnt documented anywhere and someone found it in the source code, some info here.

https://superuser.com/questions/102...s-cookies-etc-to-another-wind/1265894#1265894

I did reluctantly enable google sync to migrate the settings the "official" way but it failed miserably, all the of the following did not sync, even tho it was set to sync everything.

1 - cookies
    2 - opened tabs
    3 - extension settings (extensions themselves migrated but all at wiped settings)
    4 - Font size settings
    5 - gpu acceleration settings
    6 - spellchecker language settings

Possibly even more as I did not check all settings, enough was already broke that it was unacceptable.

Has anyone got round these problems, I find it hard to believe none has ever wanted to migrate chrome from one machine to another whilst preserving "all" settings.

The solutions I see are.

1 - Custom build of chrome without "secure preferences"
    2 - Changing the machine SID to match the old machine (cannot find way to do this)
    3 - Fixing google sync feature
    4 - Changing the matching machine SID in the profile to the new machine.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

you never will find one again, except you change to opera
    not possible for you - for me, or anyone else, in short: never.
    the hash algorythm is known, but to complexe to emulate.

3 - insert suggestion tp google!
    4 - see 2)

either you change to opera or you forget anything you like to and stick with the current. or firefox

3. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

opera disables it then?

4. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I have contacted the guy who does the woolys builds and pointed him to his thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.