Chrome 11: Talk to me

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Chrome 11 contains some really great improvements including:

HTML5 speech input API
    GPU-accelerated 3D CSS
    The brand new shiny Chrome icon

Anyone?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, sorry no, don't have a microphone connected to my PC.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm using 11, but I cannot imagine what I'd use my mic for in a browser. If Google plans on letting me record my voice to login to youtube, they have another thing coming. Icon... whilst I generally like it, it seems to look really bad on XP machines, which as you know, shrink down the icon into the taskbar. It looks a lot better on 7 machines, which generally have larger icons. I guess what I'm saying is it looks terrible when it's small.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I like the most, that they have finally removed that silly Other bookmars menu, but I have recently moved to Stable version, so I have to wait for it a little longer. :cautious:

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Same here. The updates were getting quite overwhelming. Even version 10 has been updated three times.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. Someheresomethere

Someheresomethere Registered Member

I kinda understand speech input on a smartphone, but on a computer?
    Whatever, guess it could help some people.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I have a feeling it means, as the story says, that we will see a Chrome browser on mobile platforms in the not so distant future. It could just be a "show and tell" for Google, as far as putting it in the desktop browser at this point in time. The only thing I don't want them to do is to add things in, just for the sake of adding it in.

12. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

They're only on version 11 of Chrome? Damn their development team is so slow! :rolleyes:

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Just installed 12.0.712 :D

14. mimuweb

mimuweb Registered Member

Are you kidding? :eek: Comparing to Firefox or IE Chrome is a rocket!

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Pretty sure he was due to the sarcasm emoticon.

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

True. Guess some people do prefer the glacial pace at Microsoft and Mozilla.

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The matter of development cycles is sometimes presented in a misleading way. Making the cycle shorter means there will be less change/improvement in the software compared to a longer cycle. I actually prefer a shorter cycle, but it's silly when people say Chrome is moving so much faster than Firefox because it's up to version 10. If you ignore the version numbers and just look at the functionality Chrome, IE 9, and Firefox 4 are all at roughly the same level. Firefox 3 ( unlike IE 8 ) did keep improving through incremental updates, but Mozilla did not choose to change the version number every time they implemented a small improvement.

18. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Agreed.

The main benefit of Chrome's development cycle is that new features are pushed out to users as quickly as possible, yet receive adequate testing from 5 separate release channels. The feature count isn't necessarily proportional to the version number, but any misunderstandings regarding this matter certainly isn't coming from Google.

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Absolutely spot on.

And regarding Chrome's numbering, they keep saying that numbers don't matter but use them all the same :D

20. Eice

Eice Registered Member

You're more than welcome to propose a better way for developers and buildbots to keep track of which fixes and features went into which build.

21. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Date versioning, companies like AMD use it for their drivers.

22. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Except that date versioning doesn't really allow one to track where/when the build was branched off, is a really bad idea when you maintain 5 different build channels, and release hundreds of test builds across multiple channels every day.

I've never seen a real-life user think that browser X is better than browser Y just because the version number is higher. All I've seen are online trolls trying to make an issue out of it.

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, it's a good thing and I don't see Google misrepresenting the "numbers" either, but for some reason even some people in the tech world point at the quick version changes as proof of faster progress. I think they're just bored and want new software faster, which I can completely relate to :D

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

It depends on how you define "progress". If it's the rate of improvement, then not necessarily, no. If it's the rate at which improvements are delivered to users without forcing them to run untested (and possibly crashing) code, then yes.

Personally it's one of the reasons I stick with Chrome, even though I believe Firefox 4 currently has a slight edge over Chrome 10; Google has a predictable and steady schedule that will deliver Chrome 11 in a few weeks, while Mozilla's track record of horrendous project management means we're likely to continue to be stuck at Firefox 4 for a year or so.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.