<Choose Automatically> - remove standard servers?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by webyourbusiness, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Is there a way to remove the standard list of servers from an enterprise installation?

I'm trying to work out a way to load balance the updates from an installation across two or more servers, which will all be local mirrors - machines inside the organization will be setup to use these mirrors, but rather than have multiple builds of the config, one updating from seach local mirror, I wanted to just enter all the relevent mirrors as local update servers and leave them as "<Choose Automatically>" - and let NOD32 take care of the balancing - however, if we do that, the existing regular (eset owed) servers are in there, and if those servers are part of the rotation, they will cause un-necessary traffic which is bound to fail (because the username/password will not be entered into the workstations).

The other solution I thought of was to use a named update server - such as:

nod32update.mydomain.com - and enter a second A-name record in the DNS servers - ie, to use DNS as a means of balancing.

Anyone got any thoughts on how-else to accomplish this?

cheers

Greg

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Greg,

you must use a primary and secondary profile with different local update servers to achieve this.

3. webyourbusiness

ok - can you have more than 2 - like 4 or more?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Nope, you can specify only one primary and one secondary update profile. However, you can create more update tasks, each using a different prim/sec update profile.

5. webyourbusiness

ok - thanks Marcos, it's not close to what I want - I think it will be easier to do it via DNS then, profiles management is not my preferred means, and just offering a primary with a secondary fail-over isn't going to balance at all on mirrors. Using a second task for every second update doesn't really help either - the office I'm thinking of has power-off each night, so between 0855 and 0905, all machines get booted - this would mean all machines would update from primary, an hour later, all update from secondary and the flip back - that's not really balanced either. Oh well - DNS it is...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.