Choices =( Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Fajo, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Ok. Last night I had my main rig die due to a Motherboard failure + a Hard drive failure so needless to say I'm winging it on my trusty old laptop.

I need a firewall for it tho I'm not used to being this restricted on memory. This computer has 400 Megs. And yes more is coming but it will be a week + before it arives I need a Light firewall that wont slow this old beast down.

Computer Laptop specs

Intel Pentium 2.0 GHz Centrino
    400 Meg DDR ram
    Windows XP Pro SP3.

So Recommendations would be awesome.

So far I have tried

Comodo
    Zone Alarm Pro

Both seem to slow it down Comodo quite hard at boot up I'm guessing a conflict with my AV software installed on this computer.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  2. guest

guest Guest

3. Zev0

Zev0 Registered Member

PC Tools firewall Plus. Very light.

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

With that amount of RAM you're best just using Windows FW and harden the system with Samurai or secureit,etc or perhaps Sandboxie IMO.

5. sded

sded Registered Member

I am using OA free and Avast! on an old POS XP laptop of about the same vintage that I rejuvenated to use as a spare for guests. Seems to tolerate the two together fine. Or the XP firewall but I wanted a little more.

6. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

My experience with PentiumIII 384meg 1GHz XP-Pro-Sp3 20meg Drive 50% used, idle CPU use about 2-3% with 33 processes running. 5sec to open a browser (kinda longish), 2 sec to open Excel, 1sec to open Avast GUI ,cmd, most other things.

Kerio 2.1.5(you can't beat 5meg RAM use) + Avast4.8 + SSM all quick and smooth, the best combination IMO
    or
    Sunbelt 4.6.1861(free is like Kerio, but uses 25-20meg) + Antivir + NOD2.7 or 3 + SSM, all quick and smooth
    or
    Windows firewall + SSM(with Networking enabled) + Avast or Antivir, also no issues

None of this starts up as fast as a 3GHz computer, still these are well working configurations.

7. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Once I get some more memory in this bugger along with a faster HD it should have no problem. The CPU in it is at least decent. It's just making it until the new components arrive that I have to make due. Sometimes I wonder if it would just be faster to buy a faster one. :blink:

But then again I already got a computer that has to be rebuilt.

8. tipo

tipo Registered Member

9. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

OMG whats wrong with that? Have he comitted a crime? Have he cheated on his wife? No, he read the post and gave a thoughtfull answer.

Its clear that U dont realize it, BUT there are other GREAT firewalls than Comodo. Just because U use on company dosent mean that U cant reccomend others when they are doing great. Products works different on different setups - thats why some work in one case and not in others!

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Look for an old kerio 2.15 download, basic protection, but its lean on resources.

Use group policy editor to iimplement deny execute and use iron for the time being (has its rendering engine sandboxed, sandbox plugins by starting it with --runsafer-plugins). Set PrevX to apply age before heuristics with age-scale cranked up to medium (leaves older processes untouched saving some CPU cycles)

11. guest

guest Guest

Comodo works fine but if he wants the lightest one...
    Anyway I would install comodo firewall and D+ without any AV.

I have to change my avatar xD

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Again as quoted above this computer and its current AV software don't get along with Comodo. And I wont give up my AV software that has worked fine for years on this computer just for a firewall. :D Besides I had a extra Eset Smart security License lying around so I just ended up using it as it seemed to use the least amount of ram.

Also D+ for me is a pain in the arse on A Laptop unless I have a external mouse to click all the damn popup's

Note to mods this can be closed now as problem is solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.