Chkdsk woes

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Michael777, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael777

Michael777 Registered Member

In the olden days of Win9x/NT/W2K, we used to be able to run chkdsk /f to fix problems. Often it would require rerunning the command a few times.

Since I have started using XP and W2K3, this command seems to iether not work, or currupts the volume.

The issue is that DD sometimes refuses to modify the drive. Even a simple resize fails.

I have read some threads that claim that sometimes when chkdsk reports "Windows found problems with the fiel system", it is really only informational, and can be ignored.

I have tried all manner of new drives, reinstalling the OS, and fixmbr, but to no avail. The issue recurrs, on too many boxes.

Leaving the drive in this condition does not seem to cause any problems, but not being able to use DD's full capabilities is a problem, not to mention leaving the drive in a questionable state just bugs me. Makes me think I'm not doing everything I can to prevent failures.

Couple Questions:
    1. What is the final way to fix this issue, and make chkdsk happy, once and for all?
    2. see question 1?

Thanks

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Try chkdsk /r it is more thorough, and requires a reboot to commence.

Colin

3. Michael777

Michael777 Registered Member

Yeah, doing a surface scan (/r) does not help, same symptom.

Does anyone know if "intelligent" drives like IDE and SATA even benefit from surface scans?

4. Peter_41

Peter_41 Registered Member

If you want to use CHKDSK you should run it from the RECOVERY CONSOLE. This may already be installed on your computer, depending on your Windows setup, but it is more convenient to boot from your Windows installation CD and follow the boot choices offered. I suggest you look it up and print the relevant documentation from Microsoft or other sources before you begin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.