chkdsk runs on reboot

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by bgoodman4, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

This is the 2nd time this has happened and each time chkdsk finds files to repair. This last time my browser (latest build of Opera) configuration was lost and I has to do a restore to get things back to normal. Any idea why this may be happening when rebooting out of Returnil? I am also running GoBack, could this be causing the problem?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

You may be experiencing an issue that affects some Vista users. We have added a fix for this in the current 2.01 Beta version. Would you be willing to give it a try and let us know if this resolved the issue you are seeing with the 2.0.0 release?

Thank
    Mike

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Hi Coldmoon, thanks for the reply. I am running XP not Vista and had the chkdsk run twice out of about a dozen uses of Returnil. I have no idea what was different about the 2 times it did run but the problem seems to have disappeared.

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Same problem here. XP Pro sp2, AMD Athlon 1.8G and 512 RAM. I now use Returnil 2.01.8510. It began a couple of days ago when Chkdsk totally removed Comodo Registry Cleaner. I figured it was Comodo.

Then I lost Online Armor and all my bookmarks from FF 3.05 to Chkdsk last night. Returnil was engaged during previous sessions. I'd downloaded a program which required a reboot.

This morning, I ran the computer without Returnil and no problems. I shut down for a while, restarted and all was fine. After reading this thread, I engaged Returnil, ran it for a few hours, did a reboot and.....I got chkdsk, which again eliminated my bookmarks and some other things from FF, which I've uninstalled and reinstalled yet again.

The above covered 3 days and roughly 5 shutdowns or reboots.

And, I was cussing Micro$oft for the past couple of days....LOL. I'll keep Returnil on board, or drop way back to a much earlier version that didn't give problems - if I can remember which one it was and still find it.

*edit* It occurred to me that in the earlier version of Returnil, from a year or so ago, I didn't set a partition. I did set a partition on my D: drive when moving to these latest versions. That's when the trouble started. No doubt it's something I've done, but I can't figure what, other than using a separate drive for the partition.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  5. tekie

tekie Registered Member

XP has a habit of running a scan upon bootup of "new" drives.

You'll find it will do this to flash drives as well as externals.

So, it wouldn't suprise me that it will also scan virtual partitions.

Best thing to do, is install RVS with whatever configuration you give it,
    then do a reboot. Do another reboot after the desktop has loaded.

XP will put a file on the VP - that it has checked it.

Coming back a second time .. use it as you normally would for a
    few hours. Make bookmarks, etc. and see if that helps any.

-

edit: sp

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.