Chinese police can officially demand user data from ISPs

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by guest, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Chinese police can officially demand user data from ISPs
    October 9, 2018
    https://www.cnet.com/news/chinese-police-can-officially-demand-user-data-from-isps/

2. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

But the police in return must provide advanced notice of when an inspection will take place to avoid possible property damage caused during an inspection.

“The files are in the computer” - Zoolander.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

ISPs have a legal obligation of keeping logs for 6 months. This is how it is in my country and have been since I have a broadband (more than 15 years). It's similar in your country, wherever you're from. That's how it must be and if you ask me 6 months is too short a period. Internet has been a global phenomenon for decades now and there are some very bad people out there. Those who whine about civil rights are living under a glass bell.
    There was a pedophile arrested in my city 2 years ago. We did not "provide advanced notice" to this guy.

4. BriggsAndStratton

BriggsAndStratton Registered Member

So you're saying because of a few criminals, we should follow in the footsteps of the Chinese, and other communist governments, that's what you're saying basically??

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

No, I'm saying you are already doing that. In my country we have a law on high-tech crime, and because of that law the ISPs are obliged to keep their logs and provide the same if a criminal activity is suspected. I don't see anything irregular with that, it's the same with any other non-cyber crime.
    Leave out politics (communism and such), please.

6. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

No point arguing the point with certain members here, they don’t realise that this has been happening for years without any problems, or impact on them.

Legislation changed here in Australia recently, one part was because SMS data wasn’t retained and it was often needed for investigations; even though mostly from burners. Holding everything else a bit longer is also important.

Everyone got excited for a few months, but now that life as we know it hasn’t ended, it is old news.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I just can't believe that China, a country of billion and a half, a major player, has only started doing this recently. If my small banana country's been doing it for years, I can only imagine what a country like US is doing, especially after 9-11 and similar.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some posts removed and thread is closed for further comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.