Chinese HIPS software

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Flatline666, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flatline666

Flatline666 Registered Member

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking these forums for a long time now and just joined :) I seem to remember a long ago there was a HIPS suite released by a company/person in China that was fairly powerful but documentation was scarce due to lack of translation. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called and I'm unsure which forum to search for HIPS related topics.

Anyone have any memory of this software? As I remember, it had to be trained but did (as development progressed) eventually have pre-defined settings one could use to trim down the time it took to train.

I know it's a shot in a dark but thought I'd ask.

-Chris

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

If I remember correctly is was MicroPoint?

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Was it EQSecure or NETCHINA S3 ?

4. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

EQSecure?

5. Flatline666

Flatline666 Registered Member

Thanks everyone, it was EQSecure :) Is it still considered a good HIPS product? I'm having some problems locating a compatibility matrix for it (running Windows 7 x64 here)

6. subset

subset Registered Member

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think he is talking about malware defender;)

8. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yes that would be its new name. ;)

9. arran

arran Registered Member

Yea EQS appears to be discontinued seen how there is no W7 version.

This leaves Malware Defender as the one and only HIPS with decent file and folder Rules.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

EQS WAS AND IS PERHAPS THE ABSOLUTE BEST (hips) EVERY TURNED OVER TO THIS COMMUNITY FOR FREE AT THE TIME.!

AS BEEN LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE BEEN ONE OF THOSE TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL IT, COUPLED WITH ALCYON'S "OUTSTANDING RULESETS", many they been, EQS still locks down all my xp systems with solid security!

EASTER

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Never heard of this... thanks for letting me know....:)

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Good grief Easter, please stop shouting (all caps).

13. arran

arran Registered Member

what better way to get a point across?

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's just the small scope of the excitement, or should i say protection it continues to offer to be an app that appeared as just a meager "flash in the pan" as they say, followed by their abrupt farewell.

Many, many thanks are in order to Alcyon however for raising the bar twenty-fold and really showing what EQS can and still can do even today.

Sorry Bellgamin if the caps offended or otherwise jumped up too large at ya, i'll try to exercise more control with a little better effort next time to help contain my enthusiasm a bit more in future posts, if it'll let me ;)

15. bellgamin

Hola mi amigo. Too bad about EQS's demise. IMO the "definitive" classical HIPS at the present time -- more powerful even than SSM, EQS, ProSec, MalDef, etc -- is OSSS. However, I do not intend to use it, for several reasons which I do not wish to go into right now.

By the way -- whatever happened to Alcyon? I haven't seen any recent posts by him.

16. arran

arran Registered Member

OSSS more powerful than EQS and MD? that's debatable it looks like EQS and MD has basically all the same features as OSSS. However an interesting classical HIPS which I have not seen before, I am going to give this one a try.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it has some thing very unique no other hips has and that is that it loads even before windows loads;) so it can catch hidden malware or malware such as rootkits

18. arran

arran Registered Member

yes but i think our other hips drivers also load before windows? anyway the idea is to block the initial execution and installation of rootkits not wory about catching them afterwards.
    can you show me source of this info?

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

was reading some where i really forgot where waso_O

20. bellgamin

OSSS loads its kernel pre-Windows - not merely its drivers. Go to OSSS website (where else?) and read the first item under "functional capabilities". Here is a quote. . .

That statement is repeated again at HERE and on several other pages of the OSSS website. Not all that difficult to find . . . :cautious:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way... OSSS isn't Sino-based. It is Russia-based. So I'm a bit OT. So shoot me. :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.