chicken or the egg? 1st. Making images of the OS with TI-?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jrx10, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

I'm in the process of doing TI image BU's (and testing them) from a new reinstall of xp on a couple of new HDs. 1) install xp with the updates...2) clone that to another HD. (test) (back that up with a TI tested and reinstalled image. which I've done and the image reinstalls fine. now 3) I'm trying to decide whether to reinstall my "downloaded" core programs from the old computer (completely scanned with AV/antispyware) ...first (an example would be hijackthis which I don't have an original disk for) and then install my AV and firewall as these may change. If you reinstall the programs 1st without AV on board, you're at risk, and if you reinstall the AV 1st before your programs, and then you switch AV, you have to completely scrub it from the OS, which has been a problem for me in the past (same with the software firewalls). any suggestions from experienced TI users as to how to reinstall windows and do step image backups to your system with the least possible problems? also, I'm just starting out with TI, if you keep you images on the same (or secondary HD) in your system at all times, you should make that image in a "secure zone" partition, is this correct?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I never plan on changing my AV or FW so I don't worry about it but if you have already downloaded, scanned and used the programs on your old computer why should they have a virus when you install them on your new computer?

I never keep my images in a Secure Zone since I want to be able to copy and delete them from Windows Explorer. The Secure Zone was a handy way for people with 1 drive and 1 partition to create a partition to store images in. It also provided some degree of automatic image management but if the disk it was on died, it was dead as well. Sure it was in a hidden partition that only TI could see but who cares?

3. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

From what you're saying, I gather that a TI image is complete immune from any computer virus (or malware) installing itself upon that clean image. That I didn't know. I was thinking that "secure zone" was to protect that clean image from any kind of subsequent corruption. thx.

4. LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele Registered Member

I think "secure" signifies the security one would have when for instance disaster strikes. You in essence would be able to return to a time when all was well. I don't think this zone has any feature to protect itself from say malware that gained access to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I suppose it has the additional protection that it is a hidden partition so would be harder to locate. I have never heard of any instance where viruses or any form of malware has attached itself to an image file.

Acronis used the term Secure, IMO, because you can't access the archive files in it by a program such as Windows Explorer and accidently delete them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.