Chez's common sense guide to keeping your PC safe.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by The Chez, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Chez

The Chez Registered Member

I think something like this should be a sticky somewhere on the forums, because it's always good for people to remind themselves of these common sense tips to keeping their machines malware free.

As good as ESET anti malware programs are, the best line of defense against e-threats is common sense.

Some of my personal tips:

Never click links your not sure of, specialy on social networking sites such as twitter, facebook & myspace, & emails.

Do not download ANY files from the internet unless they are from a reputable sourse or you SCAN them first. Never open a file from the internet without scanning it.

Avoid P2P networks, this is where a large percentage of malware is spread.

I browse with firefox and an addon called adblock, which blocks all online ads.

Never download an anti malware program unless your 100% sure it's authentic. Huge amounts of malware is spread via fake scanners & programs. If you come accross a website that tells you your PC is infected, hit the red cross on your browser straight away & scan your PC ASAP.

Always keep your firewall turned ON.

Always keep your REAL TIME anti virus protection turned ON, NOD32 starts on startup & runs whilever the machine is active.

When using instant messengers such as AIM or MSN, be aware of links containing lines like 'you look great in this sexy pic' etc and never accept files from people you don't know. Even then set up your anti virus to scan all incoming file transfers.

If you notice anything odd about your computer, run a scan first of all.

Do not open spam emails or email attatchments your not sure of.

Always make sure your PC receives the monthly security patches from Microsoft update, these come out on the second Tuesday of each month.

Keep to the latest versions of browsers & internet software like tweetdeck, Adobe reader etc and set them to auto update wherever possible.

Never keep any bank infomation stored on your PC without passwords. It's best not to store bank data on a PC connected to the internet, but if you must, always encrypt the file with a secure password that only you know, and do not store this on the machine.

Don't download 'free' paid programs such as ESET software or Adobe photoshop, this is not only illegal, it could damage your computer.

I don't mean to patronise yall, just some handy tips to keep your computer safe.

Also if anyone wants to add anything to this, please do! :D

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Create frequent back ups. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.