Check Image tool & restore files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gthorley, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gthorley

gthorley Registered Member

I used check image on each of my files created with TI Corp workstation. Some observations. The check image took as long, it seemed, as it did to create the file. Each file has to be done individually, can you not batch this operation? When completed it indicates operation suceeded. What exactly does that mean? Does it just mean that the file has been examined and verified to contain data that can be written to a hard drive? It doesn't spot check back to the original?

If I double click on the image file and follow the instructions I see a directory of my disk. If I give it a drive letter and proceed it creates a directory and when I compare the folders/files in this drive letter they are exactly what is on my disk that I imaged. If I drag a folder to another drive it copies it. All seems well but I would like to understand better what is happening.
    I only opened 1 image file but all of my disk contents are visible on the drive letter. If I copy a folder does it go to the image file where that portion is saved and copies it? My test folder recovery occurred almost instantly. If I had placed the image files on cd/dvd would it have had to prompt me for a specific disk, if so I guess some labeling system for the disks is needed.
    What is the best way to remove the drive that is set up to hold the image contents "H" in my case. I rebooted and it was gone, is there a way to remove it without booting?

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

I can only agree with you that 'check image' is not the most useful function from a useability point of view. If images are in the Secure Zone then you can't even check a specific image as TI wants to check all images and that can take a long time. However, it's necessary for us to be able to verify that a backup is good and I recommend that you still check images even if the function is not too friendly. I believe that Acronis are working on improving the checking of images in the SZ. Outside of SZ you can check specific images and so it's less of a problem. Yes it takes as long as the original backup to carry out checks but in my opinion that's reasonable. If it could check the backup faster than it had done the backup you would be asking why backup takes so long :D

You are right that when you 'mount' an image using the 'explore image' function it shows the complete contents of the disk or partition that was imaged. That's the way it is intended to work. It's easy then, as you said, to copy individual files and folders to another disk or partition. The image is 'read only' so don't worry about dragging something to your image because that doesn't work.

To dismount your image simply click on 'unplug image'.

You cannot mount (explore) an image from CD or DVD. It has to be on a HD before you can mount it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi pjb024,

A slight correction if I may. You can mount/explore an image that's been created to CD or DVD provided the whole of the image is on one disk (hardly likely for CD but possible on DVD). However, if the image spans two or more disks then, as you say, all the .tib files relating to that image need to be copied to a single folder or partition on the HD first.

Regards

4. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Yes you are right Menorcaman...it depends on whether the image spans more than one CD/DVD.

Regards

5. gthorley

gthorley Registered Member

I am still not sure what check image does that takes so long. It doesn't verify against the original files because I store my laptop image on My main computer and when I check this image it goes through the same routine and gives me an operation succeeded without having access to original backed up files.

So you must transfer image file back to a hard drive to recover portions of the image. What about a full recovery using the rescue disk? Will it prompt for and read the individual dvd/cd's?

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello gthorley,

Essentially, when creating an image, TI includes checksums for each of the in-use sectors (or group of sectors?) recorded onto disk. When carrying out a Check Image, TI reads the whole of the image file back into memory, calculates a checksum for each of the read operations and compares them with the original checksums contained in the image.

You can check or restore an image that's been split across multiple CDs/DVDs without needing to copy them into a single folder/partition on the HD first. Just remember to insert the last disk volume first and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent disk changes.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.