Check Disk after restore

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jblairh, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jblairh

jblairh Registered Member

This is my first post.
    I have been using Paragon for many years and have made hundreds of back-ups and then recoverd many also.
    Just in the past two weeks I began receiving the message, after a recovery, "there may be a problem with one of your hard disks " and then the laptop wants to run " a disk consistancy check".
    I don't understand what I did to initiate this strange behavior, but would like to go back to the way it acted before.
    Could someone explain what is going on? Thanks for any help.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

there could be errors on your hd. run chkdsk and see if it detects errors.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The reason it is asking for a disk check is that the "dirty bit" is being set for the disk or partion. The general reason for this is that there is a pending write for the disk that didn't get completed when the system was shutdown. That's well and good but it doesn't explain why this is happening.

Suggest you Google "Dirty bit" and read up on it as a start. You could also download the disk diagnostic from the manufacturer of your HD and run it to confirm there isn't a hardware problem. I wouldn't put this at the top of the list as a probable cause but you never know and if the same HW and software is in play then it is a bit more likely.

Have you tried running chkdsk /f on your disk before making the image so you know you are making an image of a disk whose file structure is OK?

billh

4. jblairh

jblairh Registered Member

Thank you for the quick reply.
    This is happening on both of my computers. They are 64 bit and Windows 7 machines, one a pc and the other a laptop. The laptop is about two months old. I cannot imagine there being two faulty ha rd disks at exactly the same time and I even changed thehard drive in the laptop once and this is why I suspected a program issue. I will Google "dirty bit". Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.