Cheap decent protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by ziphnor, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziphnor

ziphnor Registered Member

Hi,

Ive just recently given up on using windows for doing any serious work, im tired of using 10 programs just to ensure i wont get a virus/trojan or filled with spyware. Instead im using linux for anything serious, which is nice, mostly because its safe simply by being obscure :)
    However i still use windows for playing games and downloading stuff. And as everyone know, browsing and downloading all kinds of crap is a bit dangerous.

Im looking to protect my windows installation, in an inexpensive way, against most risks while not using too much CPU time on it(i dont care about memory, i have plenty of that, the progs can use 100MB ram if they like). Its also important that its mostly automatic and foolproof, im a Computer Science student, but i (unfortunately) dont have time to fiddle around with this stuff.

My PC is behind a NAT, so the need for a firewall is mostly as a protection against outbound connections from weird programs, ive used Sygate before, and its seems to be okay, and its free, so ill stay with that.

Im mostly concerned about AV/AT and Spyware protection, i like KAV, it has a nice interface and found alot of stuff that my previous free Avast didnt, including Trojans. On the other hand its kind of expensive (66$ for the pro version) and it does scan slowly and seem to hog system resources.

My primary questions is whether NOD32 + Trojan Hunter(TDS seems a bit over the top, both in resource usage and feature wise :) provides better trojan/general malware protection than just KAV by itself? (KAV + Trojan Hunter is more than im willing to pay). My secondary question is: Does it use more or less CPU time for resident scans?

I know my questions arent limited to just anti-trojan, but i thought it would be silly to split the post into different forums. Hope thats okay.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  2. Why not try Kav full time.....with ewido or a2 free for backup scans...that would
    give you excellant protection.

MS antispy is also free....for realtime or scan only.

3. ziphnor

That sounds like a good idea, but im still worried about KAVs reputation as a resource hog. But perhaps its exaggerated or maybe it will always be faster than having 2 seperate on-access scanners?

Thanks for the feedback btw.

4. Most ppl say that Nod32 is so fast on their machines....but some ppl....myself
    included....Find Nod32 slows down surfing.

But also remember each machine is different ....Trial them all....You should
    find a happy combo.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Silly or not....we will see how it goes....considering you have asked quite a bit....all of which could be very informative in it's own appropriate Forum :ninja:

6. ziphnor

I suppose it would be a good idead to ask the spyware part of the question in the appropiate forum. But as my primary question relates to a combo of AV/AT programs i sort of had to choose either the AV or the AT forum :)

7. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

When i had me old banger i stuck Avg on it..seemed ok I know of ppl whom use Avg as theyre primary Av and r virus free but she also just uses her pc for email..! ..So try free AvG and also for spyware A2 free.. and spybot search adn destroy.and adaware hope that helps least theyre all free..and are good 2 guess..MD :rolleyes:

8. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Try the new beta NOD32 (published yesterday). Excellent performance using few resources. I strongly recommend it as i have used before all the known AV software.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

KAV Personal is cheaper at $38 and IMO, is all that it is needed for normal Home users, compared to the Pro version. There are some tweaking tips for KAV you can apply.

Alternative, cheaper options;

1. Defender Pro. $25-£30, according to which version you select. It was (is) also available in Walmart stores for slightly cheaper prices. Uses KAV 5, and also has a firewall, anti-spam and anti-spyware modules. Just use what you need through the custom install.

2. However, your cheapest solution, as you are a student, is to check out what your College/University can offer you. Most colleges offer free AV software for their students. You may be lucky if they use the McAfee Enterprise AV as this will offer comparable protection to KAV. Overall, most Corprate products are much leaner than their home versions.

If you can obtain a good free AV in this way, Mcafee or Norton Corporate for example, this will free up some funds for other software.

Attached Files:

10. controler

controler Guest

Hi

Maybe the time has come for a security suite spot here at Wilders?

I am guessing most cost around $70.00 now days & include spyware checks.
    We could then group programs like Spysweeper, GhostSurf P, Norton, panda,
    Mc Afee, KAV ect all into one spot.

I have a good line of programs that I have paid for except for the good ones that developers were so kind to give to me free.
    but if I was looking for a secure system for the cheapest price, I would chose a security suite such as KAV or Nortons newest Beta's. If I had a bit more to spend I would get PG. This way you don't has as many conflicts with other venders.

Bruce

11. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Warning:
    NOD32 antivirus system 2.5 Beta is a product that is being developed and therefore we do not recommend installing it on any productional or crucial systems.

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Anyone know what AS Defender Pro uses?

13. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

You guys mentioned all the rest so I'll mention Winsonar. It's free

14. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

15. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I knew that 'ya stalker. :ninja:

16. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I'd install KAV 4.5 Personal (I wouldn't go with 5.0 Pro because of the ADS that it leaves behind in case you don't like KAV), Ewido Free as a backup scanner. My son runs KAV 4.5 on his game machine with no problems.

For some additional protection, ProcessGuard Free (licensed if you want to guard against keyloggers and rootkits which probably overkill for you). And the usual cast of on-demand free scanners including Ad-aware and Spybot if you want to bother, but also not necessary given your basic requirements.

Rich

17. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

hmmm...

my USD 0.02...

www.netveda.com Safety.net is a very very good firewall [check out the other firewalls section for some real nice posts by Arup and Just Wondering]

trojan handling can be done by A2 and ewido on demand.

for AV, it's your choice. I'm not mucking around with AVs for two or so months.

NOD32 beta seems stable enough

18. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

If you take a look at Kaspersky's online store, KAV Personal is only $35 now, and it looks like they are bringing back the VirusHunter discount game as well :)

Resource hog? I have not observed it using more than 25mb, and it more frequently hangs around 10-12mb, with 0-1% CPU usage at all times (3ghz P4)

In case anyone is passing over KAV only on account of it being "extremely expensive" ($35 is that bad?), or a "resource hog", please do give it another look. I'd call it relatively cheap protection that is certainly more than decent.

19. Painkiller

Painkiller Registered Member

I think that the Best solution for you is not to use all crap Antivirus or antispayware products, i think that we can know say that they dont protect just help after the fact... the best cure is Prevention products Like Prevx or Antimalware from Trustware ..

AntiMalware™ Light makes the major Internet applications safe to use. It protects your computer against spyware installation, theft of information, hijacking your desktop, and damage to your operating system from Internet attacks delivered through Browsers,Email Handlers, File managers, P2P applications, and Instant Messasges applications. AntiMalware Light provides continuous protection against all forms of threats—known and unknown, current and future—including Trojans, viruses, spyware, and newer morphing and blended threats.

AntiMalware ™ Light Personal Edition uses the BufferZone™ unique “Protection without Detection” approach that dynamically isolates and safely executes all untrusted content, instead of trying to scan content and detect malicious code. With AntiMalware, you can safely Execute any application as well as download and use any files with your normal applications, preferences and settings. AntiMalware ensures that malicious code can't get through to your desktop. Then, when you're done, AntiMalware automatically flushes away any code or files that secretly got dropped onto your PC.

If you need any more info please ask .. cause i know that they are going to release a Pro version that is much stronger and more flexeble ..

painkiller

20. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

My suggestion would be the following:

Nod32 for Anti-virus and Anti-Trojan protection (student license available).

CounterSpy for real-time Spyware protection and removal.

ZoneAlarm for your Firewall.

This combination should keep you within your budget and give good real-time protection without a noticeable slowdown and with outbound flagging of programs accessing the internet.

Hope this helps…

Cheers :D

21. Stephanos G.

Blackspear this is my combination:) Very satisfied.
    Cheers :cool:

22. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

My suggestion:

Bitdefender Free + Ewido Free + ZA (free) if you really want a cheap (free) solution

Very good combo against viruses and trojans alike for basic protection for normal users.

If you surf everywhere without any brain and download whatnot stuff wildly clicking everything (or you have a child that does that), then the above isn't enough.

However, as a free combo it's a very good combination, imho. Pro virus / AT reviews tend to agree on this finding (both producs have a very high detection ratio).

The only thing it requires is active on-request scanning.

23. Stephanos G.

Just the author is asking for cheap and not for free protection:)

24. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Netveda is slightly BETTER than ZA, IMO. And free.
    NOD32 is fairly cheap.
    McAfee VirusScan Home v7 was seen around this forum as being sold for $5.00 [no joke]. search around. VERY light on PC. Yeah. The first update's gonna be a neckbreaker, but after that, it'll be using the latest engine and latest signatures.
    Anti Trojan? Free AT's include .... TrojanHunter [heavy updates?], Ewido, A2, eScan MWAV detection toolkit [no cleaning, but total detection], and BitDefender Free [They've been adding many signatures for trojans apparently]

25. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.