ChatZilla - Internet Relay Chat

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Jim Verard, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Verard

Jim Verard Registered Member

Well, I decide to not use regular browsers to navigate on internet, such as Internet Explorer or Firefox. Instead of them, I am using Torpark/Xerobank so my ISP can't see what I am doing and all websites are not seeing my true IP.

My problem is, I don't want any regular messengers (MSN, for example) who are not using TOR network to hide my IP and secure my privacy, so I decide to use Internet Relay Chat (IRC), which was always my favorite way to talk with other people.

My question is, this add-on CHATZILLA is using TOR network the same way the browser was, or not?

Steve Topletz said once:

If you are using some web messenger, they can know what you write no-matter what. You are typing something to them in plain-text and assuming they aren't reading it. How do you know they are not reading it? A program you can use to avoid that hassle is Scatterchat, which allows you to communicate by sending only encrypted text. But you don't see the encryption, the program takes care of that for you. The other person needs to be using encryption as well, however.

Is there anyone here who knows this Scatterchat? Seems interesting.

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Greetings,

Let me help you out. It appears that the ChatZilla plugin does indeed use the proxy settings setup in the browser, which are set to Tor. Someone should run wireshark just to be sure, because I can't remember off the top of my head.

Regarding Scatterchat, that was written by a fellow Hacktivismo member named Joe Testa. I am pretty fond of it. This allows you to communicate encrypted, and additionally anonymized over Tor.

Another couple great chat programs are Psi and Jabbin. Both allow you to do encrypted chat by key exchange. Jabbin has the additional feature of allowing you to do VOIP and Video chat, while encrypted. I am pretty sure they can also be configured to use a proxy, such as Tor.

Regards,
    Steve Topletz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.