Chat Rooms

Discussion in 'polls' started by crockett, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi everyone... :)

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5081203.html

I was wondering which Chat services you use... I'm looking for Chats which would allow users to connect and participate, using Opera or Mozilla, i.e. which would not require Internet Explorer as a precondition, and also which would have the fewest possible ads and webbugs.

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

2. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Hmm, I dont use webchats, I mostly use IRC, more expandable (well, for mIRC atleast)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't use any chat rooms at all. I tried a couple of years ago but there is just to much foul laungage and nonsence going on. Better things to do with my time like hanging out at wilders, who knows might even learn something. :D

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I use Yahoo Messenger to chat in Yahoo.
    Not very often,only when I feel adventurous. ;)
    I used Cheeta Chat for a while.
    It links to Yahoo chat,but they didn't have voice as an option.They were supposedly more secure.Now Yahoo Messenger has an option for Virus Checking where you can include your av monitor.

Foul language and juvenile behavior are rampant.So beware!That's where I found out what a "Booter" is.(not cool!!!)
    The "cambot" girls troll Yahoo heavily too.

I liked MSN chat,the mods are better and things were more civil,humane.
    But I think that I would have to use IE and have a hotmail account for access.
    That ain't gonna happen. :D

5. Unfortunately while the technology of many chats is great especially the video chats the quality of the users is not usually so good. Message boards like this are better for intelligent dialogue than chat rooms. If you can find some intelligent friends to chat with I recommend a version of CuSeeme called Cornell 1.0 which was the original video chat program developed at Cornell University. It is free to download. You then must find a free room or "reflector" as we say in CuSeeme to host your chat. Use a search engine to find what you need.

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Since MSN changed the way the chat rooms are run there is a migration to other chats . One that Iv heard is very good is http://www.gcn.cx/ It has a variaty of rooms.
    I tried it looking for some freinds and it seems as if its going to become a very popular chat . I believe that many from MSN chats have moved over to this .

7. subratam

subratam Registered Member

i use ym while chattin... and that only with my frnds.. i too find it best hanging out at wilders... best choice on any day...

8. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

I had used MSN Chat for years and was a host for them but when they went to having to pay to chat I have tried BellSouth Chat and looking at some other programs. I am looking at Trillian now but have not messed with it as of yet.

9. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello Crockett

If you mean chat clients then Trillian is good. It can be used with AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo & IRC. One can also use SecureIM with Blowfish 128 bit encryption and Diffie-Hellman key exchange with AIM & ICQ. Another thing - Yahoo Messenger (and some other services) users can use a microphone and webcam but Trillian does not yet support these.

If you mean chat services then someone else who has tried them all can give their opinion.

Best wishes!

10. ArchAngel_8

ArchAngel_8 Registered Member

I had used MSN chat in the past, but as noted in some of the previous posts the qaulity of people is severlly lacking! Also, many of the rooms are rampant with BOTS and pervs. As mentioned in a previous post, MSN Hotmail users need to buy the upgraded version of Hotmail in order to use the chat feature. They(MS) stated that charging would help to identify users and assist in protecting younger users from the growing number of Pervs and similar unsavory characters in the rooms. But overall I think most chat services / rooms do not provide fun, and inteligent conversation. :doubt:

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

SolarPoweredCandle,thanks for the link to GCN. ;)

I installed it last night and took a look at it.
    GCN does look promising!
    I haven't tried the lobby yet.
    I did visit a few "tame" rooms and I noticed that GCN does have mods.
    The rooms I visited were small(up to 10 members)and there wasn't any chaos like I saw with some other chat services.
    If it gets some more users it could be an excellent chat program.
    It's really different in appearance,but not difficult to navigate.
    I'm going to spend some more time on GCN and check it out in more detail.

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I don't like chatrooms in general; the only exception i make for the CS chat which is very nice and easy and not via far away servers but all on your own system and another one or more people you know.

13. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:D So you want to use the chatrooms do you? :D

But not MSN.

Whatever one you choose, you need to be able to type for many hours without tiring. It's not like posting here. ;)

I have used Trillian, ICQ and AIM, all with good results. Make certain you carry other protections as well. Firewall, AV, AT and check your config on what scripts you will/not accept.

I am the Prince of Freeware but I bought Opera. Worth every penny! :)

14. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

I tried it once last year but I did not like it. Some people seem interesting but there were too many people interrupting or bugging into the conversation. It just upset the whole thing. I never returned after.

Uguel

15. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I went into a few chatrooms just to see what they were all about. Thought I'd been kidnaped and taken to another planet. I couldn't understand half of what was said. It also seems to be a favorite hangout for flamers. Didn't care for it. I've never been back. Would much rather hang out here.

16. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi Prince... :)

Glad to see you did fall in love with this browser...

Quite amazing, isn't it ?

BTW, http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=18147
    and
    http://my.opera.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=14c9bb3600e9f08bc568073b08657199&forumid=31

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

17. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

For my rare visits to Yahoo chat I have found Yahelite http://www.customcodes.com/deep/yahelite/
    to be real good. It has anti spam and booting etc . Since using that I have no problems staying in there and havent been booted or lost connection . It has real good filters and iggy filters.

18. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

I don't use them anymore. Only ever had Yahoo! chat when first started computer, but now I couldn't be bothered. ;)

19. OnlyWolf

OnlyWolf Registered Member

I mostly use IRC and MSN, YMSG and MSN sometimes :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.