Changing vista cluster size without DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by meffy, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meffy

meffy Registered Member

What im trying to do is change the location of the boot drive so i can change my cluster size to 64.Ive did some searches on the forum but most of the posts require the use of a new HD or the vista dvd which i broke by accident.Is this possible by simply using DD or any other method?

This will be done on an ALREADY installed vista x64 ultimate

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

meffy:

If you broke your Vista DVD then you can download an ISO of the repair components from here. Use this in place of your DVD to repair the BCD. Or, you can borrow a Vista DVD from a friend for repair purposes.

You may be referring to this thread. It's rather long and we stumble around for a while trying to figure this out, but eventually succeed. The essential info is around page 3. A quick summary is:

1. Create a new boot partition with 4k clusters
    2. Move the file bootmgr and the directory /boot to the new boot partition
    3. Make the boot partition active
    4. Boot from a Vista DVD and examine the BCD settings. You will need to reset the pointers to the correct partitions for:
    The Windows Boot Manager {bootmgr} to "boot"
    The Windows Boot Loader {default} to "partition=c:"
    The osdevice to "partition=C:"
    The Memory Diagnostic {memdiag} to "boot"​
    5. After you get Vista successfully booting from the new boot partition, then change the cluster size on the main Vista partition.
    6. Run chkdsk /f and a defrag routing after conversion

I would strongly recommend a complete backup using True Image before attempting this.

3. meffy

meffy Registered Member

Very weird problems here

I originally had a C: with both boot n vista files in it
    After doing what was on page #3,I ended up with a C(Boot drive) and a D(Vista files)
    Booting into windows i see C(Vista files) and D(Boot files)
    Booting back into the cd i see C(Boot drive) and a D(Vista files)

Secondly,I could set C: to active using the vista recovery disc but when i rebooted it reported it as non active.

Nevertheless it still allows me to boot into vista which is a plus..But i did a full reformat just to ensure that the C and D thingy doesnt affect anything in future;/

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

meffy:

That's what you should have seen. When you boot from the DVD, the active partition will be called C:, and when you boot from Vista, the Vista partition will get the C: drive letter. That's normal. Drive letters are a figment of the Windows "imagination"; they are not absolute but relative. They don't exist except when the OS is running.

Hopefully now you will be able to change the cluster size on the Vista partition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.