Changing the restored partition size and location: screen does not appear

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rockypierre, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockypierre

rockypierre Registered Member

In Windows XP, I have successfully created a 29Gb disc image, including MBR. I restored this image to a 112Gb drive to gain the additional space, but the option never appeared to resize the partition. I now have the 29Gb image properly restored to the 112Gb drive, with the remaining space showing as unallocated.

User Guide section on pp 42-3 explains the possibility "Changing the restored partition size and location," but when following the restore process, this screen does not appear: trying again to follow the steps, I select the 112Gb drive, choose the option to delete all partitions on the destination drive, then get a screen that asks if I wish to restore another partition from the archive to this drive. I click "No." Next screen is "Restore Options:" I choose default options. Next I get the "Summary page:"

Disk Partition Recovery from Archive
    From:file:D: \_AcronisBackups\2007_06_19_18_47_59_140D1.TIB

Operation 1 of 3
    Carrying out user command
    (Execute user command that is set as default)
    Command :"*before- process"

Operation 1 of 2 (Reboot required)
    Restoring partition
    Hard disk:4
    Drive letter:H: -> N:
    File system:NTFS
    Volume label:
    Size:27.95 GB

Operation 2 of 2
    Restoring partition structure
    Hard disk:4

Operation 2 of 3
    Carrying out user command
    (Execute user command that is set as default)
    Command :"*after- process"

and Proceed option. This appears to repeat the previous process. How can I resize the partition to make use of the unallocated space?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Since you have already got your new drive working except for the unallocated space, here's how to regain that space.
    1. Create the bootable True Image CD.
    2. Boot your system with it and choose the Manage Secure Zone function.
    3. Create a SZ (this is temporary) of any size smaller than the unallocated partition. Do not activate the Startup Recovery Manager.
    4. Ok out of it and go right back in to Manage Secure Zone.
    5. Choose to delete the SZ - it will ask what to do with the space. Choose to append it to the existing partition (or words to that effect)

3. rockypierre

rockypierre Registered Member

Thanks for the rapid response.

One thing I did not specify that might relate to your suggested solution using a boot disc CD: the 112 GB laptop drive is currently in an external carriage connected via USB to the desktop machine, so it is viewed as a Removable Disc on the desktop. Do I still need to create a bootable CD and boot the Desktop with it in order to claim the addtional space on the Removable Disc?

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Whether needed for this present situation or not, you should make that bootable Rescue CD and test that it will work so when the time comes that you have to use it, you know it is going to work. This would be an excellent opportunity to try out that CD. In fact you need to know if it will see that usb enclosure now that you don't absolutely have to.
    I would also not have any other drive in that desktop connected while doing this manoeuver with the SZ. In fact you could put the drive back in the laptop to do the SZ/no SZ trick.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

The information provided in the Menorcaman's link should below answer your question about your initial option selection.

Extract from Note 2 of my Basic Restore Guide
    "If the new drive is larger then the old one (or you suspect the old drive had bad sectors), a partitions restore with resize is required. Here too, you use the entire disk image and proceed as detailed in Menorcaman's instructions here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=769388&postcount=5

6. San Diego Guy

San Diego Guy Registered Member

I am trying to perform the steps you refer to in Menorcaman's instructions located here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=769388&postcount=5 ~ Fixed the link -Menorcaman ~

That you refer to at the end of your message. I am able to get to the "Restore Partition Size" window sucessfully, however, the "Partition Size" window is greyed out, i.e., I can't change it. I can only change "Free Space Before" and "Free Space After." What am I doing wrong?

A little about my set up:

I have a 37MB image of my laptop stored on my desk top computer.
    I am trying to restore that 37MB image onto a a new larger hard drive (120MB) in an enclosure hooked to the desk top computer by USB. The new drice has a partition at 37MB because I messed up when I cloned the original drive the first time.

I don't want to re-clone my 37MB laptop hard drive directly onto the new hard drive because it is damaged and took 2 days to clone the first time because of all the bad sectors.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rockypierre,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that the option to resize partitions is only available when restoring partitions separately. When choosing the whole drive from the image to restore, it will restore as is. Please see chapter 6 "Restoring the backup data" of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide for detailed instructions.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello San Diego Guy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please delete the existing partitions on the target drive, and then try restoring again.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.