changing file extention

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dober, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dober

dober Guest

My friend sent me some photos with unknown extensions for security reason he said, I tried to change them to .jpg but failed.
    Please how can I change file extension without using 3rd party prog. Thanks

2. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi dober, Just a thought....if you right click Start...click Explore....click Tools...click Options....click File Types.....isn't there something there that lets you swop extentions to ones you can open.....I might be wrong....? I usually am.. :D :D

Cochise, :cool:

3. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear dober, i'm not clear about your problem. have you tried right clicking on the file and selecting RENAME? click on it and rename it to a something.jpg file. if you can't see the extension the go to FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW and uncheck HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES. you can also try BMP extension.

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi dober....

If your friend changed them for "security reasons" I do not know what the reason would be and obviously I would scan them, regardless of "friend" or not.

However, if they were jpeg format originally [ask him], you can simply rename it back to jpg or even bmp like AMRX suggested, and then they will open in whatever the default program for viewing such files is associated.

There is no need for a third party program, and no need to try to do "File Association" at all, you will more than likely screw up your genuine file associations. :)

A simple rename will do. :)

If you doubt it, find your own jpeg pic yourself, rename it to say .txt you will get an error alert, but ignore and ok it, then rename it back to jpeg, and it still works.

Now, if they do not work for you by renaming, then I would be very suspicious. I would trash them, not worth the agro IMO.

But, I wonder why he renamed them in the first place, seems silly to me, unless they were not 'in good taste' :D

Just make sure to do a scan.

btw, what extension did he put on them?.. you just said 'unknown'

Cheers, TAS

5. dober

dober Guest

thanks all
    I'm sure they are pictures
    renaming didn't help
    the exrtension is (picturename.abc) if I rename to .jpg then I get
    picturename.jpg.abc

Thanks

6. sard

sard Registered Member

If you drop them into Irfanview www.irfanview.com and it detects that the image format doesn't match the file extension, it will offer to change it for you.

Irfanview, the freeware app that just keeps giving :D

7. Tassie_Devils

dober...

just take off the abc...

and put jpg... do not put .jpg in front of 'abc' make sure it's just 'picname.jpg'

right click and select rename, type in whatever name you like.. call it 'picture' or whatever with .jpg at end.. do not have the double extensions..

TAS

Attached Files:

• 115.GIF
      115.GIF
      File size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Tassie_Devils

from above pic...

to this..............

TAS

Attached Files:

• 116.GIF
      116.GIF
      File size:
      3 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.