Changing Description

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by OLLI_S, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

Hello,

I have Acronis True Image 8 and created an image of my C: partition.
    While creating the image I also entered a description for it.

Unfortunately I have forgotten to add two application names to that description.

My question is: can I change the description after I made the image?
    How ?

Thank you for your help.

Greetings

OLLI

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello OLLI,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis True Image doesn't allow to change the description of the image once it is created. We have added this option to our Enhancement List and it will be implemented in future versions of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

Hello,

I think it is a shame how you deliver your software.
    I have the True Image, the Disk Director Suite and the OS selector and I found many problems.

And that I can not change the description afterwards is a shame.
    Did you ever heared the word "usability"?

What can I do now, If I want (and have to) change the descriptions of 4 images?

The problem ist hat without the changes in the description I do not see in what image what program is stored and can not use the software.

I suggest you QUICKLY offer a program, that allows the user to change the description. Later on you can implement it in your "further versions".

Not offering such a feature is in my eyes a "not user friendly application".
    Maybe I should switch to an other software.....

Greetings

OLLI

4. Acronis Support

Hello OLLI,

If you need to find out what application (or data) is stored in the particular image you may mount the image and browse it to see what it contains. The only workaround to change the description would be to recreate the image once again with another description.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

I installed WinXP, changed some settings (deactivated some services and tasks and other settings) and made an image.
    Then I installed the mainboard driver, the GPU driver and the sound card driver and made an image.
    Then I istalled my anti virus progam and my firewall and made an image.

I had problems installing the actual version of the .NET Framework.
    I had to go every image back to the image, where I had the basic drivers installed.
    Only in this image I can install the .NET Framework.

So seing the description while restoring (I always work thith the bootable CD) is essential for me.

And (by the way) if I view the images by mounting them and then view the content, I do not see, if the .net framework or the driver for my GPU is installed.

And an other problem does your way of "solving this problem" have: I install on C:\ only windows, all drivers and applications are installed on other drives.
    Also the swap file, the hibernation file and the "My Documents" are not on C:\, also the temp folders are on an other drive.

I want to keep C:\ as small as possible, so the images are as small as possible (if I install Microsoft Office on E:\, most office files are on C:\ and only some changes are made in C:\, so if I restore the image, Office is working).
    But there the problem is, that I always have the folder E:\Office existing, even if I restore an image containing only Windows.

Restoring all my images to change the descrioption is not a proper way of olving the problem.

I suggest you develop an application that allows this (it would be enough if it is a stand alone application) or if you release an update od True Image.

Remember: if a private user is convinced of your products and thinks they are good, then this private user (that is the senior IT manager of a bigger company, a guy who decides what software to use in the company) can also think about using your products at work.

Offering such a "solution" like "make all your images again" is a joke (i hope).
    If you really ment this not as a joke then you have lost a customer and your software will also not be used in my company (about 120 PCs).

OLLI

6. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

As a workaround, you can use quite a long name for the backup file itself. You can actually create the description by renaming the file. Example: Universal Image plus Office 2003 and Dotnet June 2005.tib

7. mareke

mareke Registered Member

Another workaround is to make a word file with a description of the image and store the word file with the image in a folder (this is what I do). It would be nice if Acronis allowed copying and pasting a description of the image from a word file to the place in Acronis where you type in the description.

8. OLLI_S

OLLI_S Registered Member

The problem is: if I overwrite an exisitng image, I have to enter my description all again.
    Also something, that is not very user friendly.

The problem, if I store the description in a TXT File is, that I can not read it if I boot from the True Image CD Rom.
    I would have to boot Windows first, load the TXT, search for the image, remember what image name it was and then reboot.

So I make the pick with the file names.

Strange that Acronis did not give me this hint.....

Maybe they are so busy in programming a hotfix for this problem.... :D

9. Acronis Support

10. neuron2

neuron2 Registered Member

That's because anyone with half a brain would have thought of it themselves.

11. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Now, now boys. Play nice. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.