Changing AV On Android

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Aug 8, 2015.

1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have a Kindle Fire tablet. It came with a trial of Trend Micro. I got a 6 month license off eBay and I am good until Jan 16. If I cannot find a cheap license for Trend I would like to go to eset paid.

I have found, as others, that on a computer an AV is sometimes difficult to remove. I am wondering if anyone has experience changing AV on an android device like a tablet?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Should be easy peasy. Btw I use SOPHOS free version.

3. m0unds

m0unds Guest

lots of products set up as a device administrator, and there's a menu option to enable/disable that function on a per-app basis (on android 5.0+ it's under settings>security) in order to uninstall a product configured in that manner, you'd just need to uncheck the device administrator option and uninstall as normal.

that being said, personally, i don't run av on android devices because i don't sideload applications, and i don't install dodgy random stuff from the play store, so i really don't see the point. the "value added" device location functionality is built into the OS (at least it is on 5.x+) and my corporate security policy for mail on my phone enables me to locate/lock/remote wipe as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the advice and information. Although I do not anticipate using the tablet for financial transactions I do like the capability in an AV to have something like KIS Safe Money. I understand that ESET will have similar capabilities in the upcoming version. It may not be included in the Android versions, however.

Otherwise I might go to the free version of Trend. It reverts to free after the trial.

Thanks,
    Jerry

5. gery

gery Registered Member

Eset is light and tight

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.