Changed Drive Letter - Can't Change Back

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by RT, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RT

RT Registered Member

I had XP installed on drive E:. I wanted to have it on C: I used DD9 to change the letter from within XP. I had to reboot. XP now hangs before getting to the user selection screen.
    I have used my Acronis boot CD to boot in to Acronis Disk Director to change it back to E: in the hope that this will reverse the problem. But Change Letter is grayed and inaccessible. How do I change the letter back?
    I tried booting into XP using the XP setup disk and the recovery console. But when it offers up a choice of Windows Installations (only one is listed), it will not accept my administrator password although I know I have got it right.
    TIA,
    RT

2. St.Jimmy

St.Jimmy Registered Member

enter nothing as the admin pass:)

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The problem is possibly that XP registry which holds all the drive information is still pointing to 'E:' and so it can't find the right files or drive.

It won't accept your password probably becuase the drive now has a different security identifier to the one you originally installed to.

There are a number of things that could be tried

From the XP install CD choose the install option (the one after the recovery console) abd then choose the REPAIR option, this will wipe out the the OS files and re-install them including updating the registry - you will not lose access to your installed programs, apart from the fact you'll need to go through registry and change all instances of 'E' to 'C'.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.