change icon of avg anti-spyware. possible??

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by murlay, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murlay

murlay Registered Member

i'd like to know whether is it possible to change the 'icon' of the latest AVG Anti-Spyware back to Ewido Anti-Malware (triangle-ish orange). because i don't like to see AVG icon-like sitting there on my systray. it's like a feeling that my pc not being protected properly. is there a way to change this? please someone? :isay:

2. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Try Resource Hacker.

3. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Please don't do that, e.g. it will cause the update to download avgas.exe everytime you update. Sorry, but there is no way to change the icon :(

4. murlay

murlay Registered Member

Thanks Inspector Clouseau :cool: i successfully changed the avg anti-spyware back to ewido systray icon. Nice! :thumb: looks a lot better now!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  5. Cpt. Sparrow

Cpt. Sparrow Registered Member

@murlay: I bet it won't stay like that for long, as I guess the ewido.exe will calculate its own checksum to see if it has been modified and will try to repair itself with the next update.

(At least that's what I think Peter suggested with hihs posting.)

Regards,
    El Capitan

6. murlay

murlay Registered Member

what do you mean by ewido will 'try to repair itself with the next update' ? i just dont get it. do you mean the next release of ewido program version? or the database update? noob here o_O )

7. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

The automatic and the manual (by clicking 'start update' button) update will repair all modified files automatically. You cannot prevent it.

Changing the icon will cause a change of the application and so it will be downloaded again.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Can whatever files identify the ugly icon as belonging to avgas be transferred to tha ewido Icon, or can a Icon be designed in paint or using photoshop. Surely there must be some way around it.

9. berng

berng Registered Member

Even though I liked that old icon more this one isn't bad. Lots of color. All this is just a matter of personal taste. But I see Peter and Vincenz are still using the old one in their avatar.

I really do have better things to do with my life than get so excited over icons that I worry about their looks.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  10. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

What I would like to know is:

If users are using AVG Antivirus AND AVG AS isnt the icon not the same for both? I think I read somewhere here that theres a very slight variation in the 2 icons but they look VERY SIMILAR. I dont think thats a good thing. Maybe someone who uses both apps can comment on this.

Richie

11. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Sorry, but it is amazing that an icon can provoke so much postings - and now an own thread - on Wilders. Also have in mind that altering files in any way could be illegal. Anyway, i used AVG years ago and the decission why i changed wasn't for sure not the icon.

Sarcasm on/ (hope i wrote it write)
    Perhasp you folks should change your windows themes , so that the icon fits.
    Sarcasm off/

12. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Tommy

Should be either right, correct or correctly. :eek:

No flame just a Joke. ;)

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

13. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

As you see my english is 'exelentissimo' :)

14. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I successfully switched the Desktop AVG icon back to the ewido icon. Here's how I did it, I went to www.ewido.net that put a image file in my browser image folder. I then copyed it to my desktop, then went to the AVG Anti-spyware icon. Right clicked on it and selected properties, on the shortcut tab I clicked on change icon. Then in the dialog box click on browse, then just navigate to your desktop select the image click ok then ok again and your done. I updated to see if the icon changes back, I can switch back to the AVG icon anytime I want as avgas .exe is still in the Grisoft folder. Sorry I would upload the file but it is a .ico file, I tryed to upload and I got Invalid file..even if I rename it .jpg . I use Opera Browser version 9.02, the image file is w ww.ewido.net.ico.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  15. murlay

murlay Registered Member

yeah, they're still using ewido avatar instead of avgas :D

16. SpHeRe77

SpHeRe77 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.