CFP without D+ and DS or CFP with D+ and Avira free

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by rOadToIS, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

Which setup do you guys recommend, Comodo Firewall w/o D+ and DriveSentry or CF with D+ and Avira free?
    Which combo would provide me the maximum protection?

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think that with only comodo with D+ you will be just enough to be very secure,the only thing you have to do is set up the D+ to block malware(set rules):thumb:especially the apps that uses the net

3. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

If you understand how to use a hips then D+ should protect you better than DS, in my opinion.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes indeed:thumb: i tested comodo hips with some malware and this include antivirus 2009 and blocks it very easilly:thumb: hips is the future:thumb:

5. 3xist

3xist Guest

Use 'proactive configuration' for CIS and you won't need anything else. :)

6. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I have to agree with the other posters here.
    CF with D+ and Avira.
    That's what I use. :)

7. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

Thanks for the replies!
    I will just stay with my current setup: Avira free with Comodo Firewall with D+:D

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

once that new update for comodo comes out with the better usability etc. then ill consider using comodo as well. right now its too annoying for me.

9. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Can you explain by what you mean when you say, set rules for D+ for apps that use the 'net?

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

internet explorer,you could denny the execution of alot of DLLS or exe files which can carry infections or also you could set a rule to denny write acces to the hard drive c::thumb: or what ever you want to do the D+ in comodo is the main value of the firewall making it stronger againts malware(all kind of malware);)

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

PC Tools V5 (nearly same protection as comodo without the hassle) and Avira

12. Makav3l1

I would disagree about "same protection", but I agree it is less of a hassle because it offers less protection. The hips has less capability than D+ and therefore fewer alerts.

13. 3xist

3xist Guest

The CIS version will be a beta FYI btw because of all the new things that will be in it, it's a big update.

14. firzen771

well cant wait to see exactly how much easier D+ is to use with the new version then.

15. 3xist

3xist Guest

It won't be totally ZERO pop ups, But with the 1 million whitelist it's a step in the right direction. The challenge for Comodo is to: "Deliver a Security Product that is usable, Has ZERO pop ups, while still maintaining Prevention as first line of defense, not detection since AV's only only detect %age of malware." That is from Melih's own words but from mine. :)

Let's see what happens...

16. Makav3l1

I'm not sure if I like that statement from Melih. What type of classical HIPS would have ZERO pop ups? It kind of defeats the purpose of D+. Are you trying to turn D+ into a BB?

17. 3xist

3xist Guest

It's only Melih's Dream, not yet a reality. I might of said it wrong... What I mean it CIS will get more usable with the whitelisting, etc.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

plus with the huge data base of over 1,000,000 that also will reduce couple of alerts from D+:D ;) :thumb:

19. Makav3l1

Fair enough. I've just come to appreciate D+ as a classical hips that DOES alert me every time something new happens on my machine. I would hate to see it change into a behavioral blocker that makes all of the decisions by itself.

20. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Maybe it's me but I just don't see this problem of all these pop ups as so many posters mention.
    I run CFW D+ in Safe Mode and Clean PC mode.
    Outside of the install when it was learning the programs I run, the pop ups have been so far and few between it's not even worth mentioning.

21. 3xist

3xist Guest

To give you some more info. :)

For CIS v4.0 for example, A user will have 2 options:
    A Simple Mode
    A Expert Mode

I don't know the full details or it's confirmed, But Simple mode will give great security without too many pop ups. Expert Mode will give all the pop ups you want... And even now in CIS 3.5, You can configure CIS in any shape, way or form. But the idea is to have CIS for both Advanced users like you and I also good for people totally new to the PC, while still maintaining prevention as first line of defense, and not sacrificing security. Together, The 3 layered architecture: Prevention (D+), Detection (AV), and Cure (Integrated later) will work well together for everyone.

It's only plans and only the beginning... But next CIS version (Beta) With Heuristics, Whitelisting, Blacklisting will improve Alerts further... it will be quiter, and if a malware comes from a uTorrent download or something, and it's not on the whitelist, not in the AV Database... then BANG you are saved and get the RED D+ Alert! :D

Cheers,
    Josh

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this is damn cool:thumb:

23. Makav3l1

Sounds good.

24. firzen771

can't wait for that v4 :D

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

when is it ready for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.