CentOS memory freeze

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by accessgranted, Jul 24, 2016.

1. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

Hi guys, couple of days ago a very strange thing happened while using the current CentOS 7 version. While adding a picture in my favorite background images folder before copying the folder onto another partition, I accidentally selected all the images and pressed enter. There were some 30 jpg pics, each weighing approximately 2.5 Mo. The system suddenly froze. I had to cold-reboot by hand. I then voluntarily retried the same sequence, same result.
    I switched to another OS on the same computer (quadcore GeForce 8800 GT with 4 Gig of RAM): Ubuntu handled the same task without a glitch: the image viewer got opened as many times as there were pictures. Tried again on Arch, very good. Thought Fedora 23 would suffer from the same flaw as CentOS, but again, image viewer opened simultaneously as many times as needed.
    Swapped computers, now on a i7 Toshiba Satellite with 6 Gigs of RAM. CentOS again froze, other systems passed the test easily.
    What can I do so CentOS can handle such a task without freezing? How to explain the paralysis?
    Thanks

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Anything on journalctl? IIRC CentOS has some security features built-in, that could be interfering with what you want to do.

3. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

Could some CentOS7 users please try and confirm/infirm the malfunction? Place some 50 to 60 .jpg or .png pics (2.5 to 4.5-some Mo each) - could be for instance various wallpapers collected from various distros - in one folder, then get inside the folder, ctrl-A to select all pics at once and then hit Enter. Passing the test would mean that the image viewer opens itself simultaneously as many times as there are pics, giving the kind of result shown below on Arch. A failed result would mean a frozen system requiring manual reboot.
    Thanks in advance. That problem is really annoying me.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.