CentOS 6 - Simple, robust, efficient, and finally here

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Your next desktop system is here, I guarantee that. I'm proud to present this long, ethusiastic review of CentOS 6, a RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) based distribution with Gnome desktop, covering installation setup, desktop looks, Wireless, Bluetooth and Samba sharing (including NTFS partitions), desktop effects, RPMforge repository setup, multimedia - Flash, MP3 playback, Microsft Media Server (MMS), plugin auto search, applications choice, fast package management, stability, memory footprint, suspend & resume, printing, kdump, modern software, future setup, and more. It's going to be a blast. Must read.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/centos-6.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I am pleased, finally a decent score for my preferred distro (actually SL6 currently). Kubuntu and SL6 (or CentOS 6) will most likely be my permanent distros - keepers.

BTW. Apple Trailers in Firefox should not be a problem (I notice you mentioned this with SL6 as well). Just ensure you have the following plugins. Red = you probably don't; Blue = you might have. :)

Many thanks for the sparkling review.

plugins.png

994 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
    Installed Packages
    Name : gecko-mediaplayer
    Arch : x86_64
    Version : 1.0.3
    Release : 44.el6
    Size : 493 k
    Repo : installed
    From repo : atrpms
    Summary : A Mozilla browser plug-in to handle media on websites, using
    : gnome-mplayer
    URL : http://kdekorte.googlepages.com/gecko-mediaplayer
    License : GPLv2+
    Description: Gecko Media Player is a browser plugin that uses GNOME MPlayer to
    : play media in a browser

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

looking good.

which one should I download?

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hmmm....

5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hello mrk one of your finest review i have seen great one :))

did you get successfully install VLC on this one although i also got trouble installing it on scientific linux also i got the scientific linux 64bit live DVD version which is full of crap lot of unnecessary things like open office kde 4.3 ...............i have to remove more than install live dvd dont have option like custom install i try it again some day with live cd 64bit

right now i am using opensuse 11.4 honesty speaking apart from fonts like fedora gnome nothing to complain about and that because i am too used to it LOOL

please will you clear the dvd version got gnome only or kde as well

6. mack_guy911

7. Mrkvonic

I'm gonna check about vlc and apple plugins. But then, I'm planning massive stuff, so if you have any recommendations on the best repos, repo priority, packages, etc, I'd be glad to hear.
    Mrk

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

9. mack_guy911

i tried rpmforge and atrm both one by one on install distro it was pretty frusted day 5 hours with no success and no desktop as fedora is my main one i formatted it for SL i give and in install open suse 11.4 linux honestly speaking 1st day i didnt like this distro feel like a alien system on computer hate fonts hate kaffeine the only thing i like about this distro is yast and stability.

cont....

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1909605#post1909605

10. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Despite Mrk's glowing review CentOS 6 was one of the worst experiences I've had with a distro. Obviously I disagree with his conclusion.

Did you try it on a home network, Mrk? If so, how did the other PCs perform while CentOS was active? Like I stated earlier in a different thread, mine couldn't connect to the internet while CentOS was active. Ridiculous. SL6 didn't give me such a problem.

Just my humble opinion.

Later...

11. Mrkvonic

Yes, I tried it on home network, no problems. Things worked fine.
    Mrk

12. mack_guy911

ok just tested centos cd for live 32 bit cd

1st experiance every thing work very smooth including vlc its install required stuff from rpm-froge and run like candy not even a single crash

on second time boot from live cd i keep tabbing my fault :D but at end i get it booting it look ok run install ........vlc ...............etc but after install of theme everything look to crash system behaves like old fedora reputation and even i didnt let me shutdown

theme are problem with centos on SL 32bit i face theme problem but only when i install it from rpm but here i just install icon theme

also like to add i use pretty cheap cd which cost me about 0.1 $ so it might be also be the cause :p

edit one more thing like to add now i test sintific linux live cd 32bit and vlc working prefectly fine just using rpm-froge repo not mixing them looking forward to try both on 64bit cd version

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  13. teegoat

teegoat Registered Member

After reading the review I was super motivated and exited about CentOs 6, but what a disappointment it was.

Firstly the installation stall for good 30 minutes (luckily then it continues to an end), secondly it puts both GNOME and KDE environment without offering any choice. Thirdly Add/Remove Software froze 2nd time I ran it. After that when I try to remove KDE it removes gnome network manager as well - if you don't spot it you are in trouble.

Making it into usable desktop distro is NOT a pleasant experience, at least it wasn't for me. I do have to say that it was one of the worst. Definitely I cant remember having that much rouble with fedora, which is supposedly bleeding edge.

I ask myself how does that compare to super stability hailed in the review? My laptop is an Asus x58l, normally working well with linux, no problem, so I would expect no less from a distro which is supposed to be robust, simple and stable. Or does stability have more meanings in that case?

I'm sorry to say that I'll be probably back to Debian universe pretty soon. I strongly disencourage anybody who is not a VERY experience linux user from having this ride. BTW, I've already tried Arch, with success, alongside with many other distro and would say have more than basic knowedge of linux but, really, centos? no thank, you.

14. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Hello there, I thought that font rendering could improve with the correct font.conf and in a live sesssion of Ubuntu I used 'cat /etc/fonts/conf.d/*conf > ~/local.conf' to create a copy of Ubuntu's font settings in a single local.conf file. Now I copy this local.conf file to any distro in /etc/fonts and I get nice font rendering.

Attached you find my View attachment local.conf.txt as txt file

15. mack_guy911

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.