CentOS 6 released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by ard14n_y, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ard14n_y

ard14n_y Registered Member

http://www.centos.org/
    Release Notes
    Download i386
    Download x86_64

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Well.....there goes Ocky. Once he hears about this it's goodbye Scientific Linux. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if he ain't already downloading it right now.

I tried downloading the 32bit DVD version from a number of links but the speed is just so slow. I'll probably let it download overnight.

Later...

Bob

3. Trespasser

I downloaded the CentOS 6.0 i386 version (4.4 gigs) but I'm having trouble with burning the iso. NeroLinux tells me the iso is larger than the disc capacity. It asked if I wanted to try overburning (at my own risk) and I said yes. It burns the the image to the disc but verification fails. I tried to burn the iso twice and both times it failed on verify. BTW, the md5sum matched the posted md5 from the download site I used.

I also did a disc check from the install DVD. It found errors as well.

Has anyone else downloaded CentOS 6.0 and ran into a problem burning it? I've never had this problem before.

Thanks.

Later...

4. Trespasser

I found out what the problem is on the CentOS forum. It seems the CentOS 6.0 i386 version is 5 megabytes larger than the capacity of a DVD+R disc. It's all I use. The solution is to use a DVD-R disc, which holds a little bit more space than the DVD+R. This sucks, but at least it's solvable. I guess a trip to town is in order tomorrow.

Hope this helps someone.

Later...

Bob

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Ha..ha.. Trespasser, wrong this time. I am too into Scientific Linux now, and have it just the way I need, besides version 6.1 will be RC in a matter of days. Still have CentOS on ancient laptop as backup in case of computer failure.

After Mrk's glowing review of Kubuntu, I decided to give it a try in Vbox yesterday (instead of downloading CentOS. :D )

For me it's like going from Windows XP to Ubuntu ! Takes a while to find out how to get things done eg. took me over 30 minutes to get the panel icons sorted with little irritations
    like adding spacers etc. I will continue 'playing' with it in VBox to familiarise myself.

PS. Sorry about your DVD+R burning experience, how far is town from where you stay ?
    :)

6. Trespasser

Town is only one and a half miles away. My concern is whether they'll carry a DVD-R selection at all. I've got three DVD+R dual-layer discs which I can use but they're my last resort.

Be honest, Ocky. The allure of CentOS 6.0 is calling you, isn't it? It's saying "Ocky...Ocky...CentOS 6...you know you love me...you want me...you can't live without me...go ahead...start the download...START THE DOWNLOAD!".

At least that's the way it was for me. ;).

On a serious note...

Ocky, I have a question. It concerns saving downloaded updates for SL. I went into yum.conf and made the change to save all downloads. But I soon noticed that not all downloads were being saved (solely SL). Other repo sites...no problem. I'd like to have all the downloads for installs (Dad, brother, sister), or re-installs. Have you ran across this problem? If so, do you have a solution?

Thanks.

Later...

Bob

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

8. Trespasser

I tried CentOS 6 last night but had a little trouble...internet related. The install went fine but once I established a wireless connection on my home network the trouble began. It appeared that CentOS was totally hogging the internet connection. I really hadn't told it to download anything (updates, applications, etc.) yet both my wife and I couldn't surf via Firefox without receiving a "server timed out" or "unable to connect" message. My wife eventually gave up and shut down her Desktop. During this time period there was a lot of hard drive activity taking place so I concluded our trouble was CentOS related. I decided to try another CentOS install at a later time and CloneZilla-ed my way back to Natty. This, of course, took care of my connect problem.

Very odd. Nothing like this had ever happened to me before after an install.

Ocky,
    Have you got a repo for Firefox 5 in SL6?
    Thanks.

Later...

Bob

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, several folks have already installed it from remi. Don't use the repo, but download and install from below links both Firefox and xulrunner. You will need to uninstall the 3.6x version first, however xulrunner will run alongside your existing xulrunner.
    (Pop over to SL forums to see the Firefox 5 thread).

EDIT:- Oops those are 64 bit packages. Will post 32 bit shortly.

http://rpms.famillecollet.com/fedora/12/remi/x86_64/repoview/firefox.html

http://rpms.famillecollet.com/fedora/12/remi/x86_64/repoview/xulrunner5.html

PS. Have you tried Kubuntu 11.04 ? I am trying it in VBox and apart from the Plasma
    stuff which takes some getting used to, it is running pretty good.

Regards

EDIT:- Back again. The packages for 32 bit...

http://rpms.famillecollet.com/fedora/12/remi/i386/repoview/firefox.html

http://rpms.famillecollet.com/fedora/12/remi/i386/repoview/xulrunner5.html

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  10. Trespasser

Thanks, Ocky. :).

Later...

Bob

11. Trespasser

I tried CentOS 6.0 again and again it froze up my home network. I don't see how it can hog my whole home network internet connection, but it does. It only does it when the Add/Remove Software or the Update Software functions are active. I didn't have this problem with Scientific Linux 6. Think I'll wait for it to mature for awhile. Something is just not quite right with this one.

Later...

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.