CentOS 6 is finally deployed in my production setup!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The best article of 2011 yet, and possibly the entire decade, but who counts. Anyhow, I'm most gladly presenting this most enthusiastic review of the CentOS 6 deployment as a production operating system in my setup, including overview of reasons, installation attempt on internal and external disks on two machines, GRUB legacy and GRUB2 configuration, extra repositories, priorities, Nvidia proprietary driver installation, additional programs, Compiz effects, system usage, some tweaks, and more. Lovely jubbly, must see.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/centos-desktop-cool.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

That's a juicy good review of what you have done. Just one question asked before here concerning those pesky repo priorities.
    According to the CentOS wiki one should not use both protectbase and priorities, but if you have had plain sailing maybe this no longer applies ?

NVidia drivers also available from elrepo (kmod-nvidia) which do not require recompiling, but I suppose you prefer to obtain the drivers from their site.

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Didn't know about the driver in elrepo, worth examining. Thanks!
    As to conflicts, I didn't find any, so it looks good.
    And I'll think of a dock.
    Mrk

5. mack_guy911

but in kmod-nvidia you find old one 275 not 280

also if you planing to install virtualbox you need a DKMS(Dynamic Kernel Module Support) and gcc before install vbox it give no error :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im surprised at having to manually disable Nouveau before using proper nvidia drivers is still an issue. i forgot to disable Nouveau in fedora 11 and ended up not being able to boot.

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

kmod-nvidia-280.13-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64.rpm is in the elrepo testing repository, so it shouldn't be too long a wait to be swept to stable. :)

8. mack_guy911

i am never creazy about latest old and stable always welcome for me :rolleyes:
    even in fedora we get pretty same drivers i mean old ones

also still using firefox 3.6.22 and loving it :D

dont know how to peep cache files in firefox 6....etc

by the way is centos 6 going to be distro of 3rd quarter 2011

also like to thanks mrk for another great review + pointing out to

ctrl-alt-backspace X server reset

i didnt know about it :))

for more i read that

http://deviceguru.com/enabling-ctrl-alt-backspace-to-kill-the-x-server-in-ubuntu/

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

If you plan to install a proprietary video driver, then it might help to select second option in the boot menu of the installation DVD (native video driver, if I remember correctly)

And when you boot with the latest kernel (after updating) it might be a good idea to regenerate a nouveau free initrd:
    Code:
    # mv /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img /boot/initrd-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
    # mkinitrd /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
    Also "nomodeset" added to the kernel options in the GRUB menu seems to to the trick.

My experience with CentOS 6 is that my laptop with poor cooling design runs coolest compared to other (newer) distro's. It even takes a while before the fan spins.

10. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

In SL6.1 I use the latest Nvidia stable release (280.13) to install the driver then I use DKMS to update the driver when a kernel change occurs. The whole procedure is not too difficult. The only thing I haven't looked into yet is how to update the driver when a new stable release appears.

Later...

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey wilbertnl,
    i dont acually have fedora/centos on a machine with an nvidia GPU atm but thanks for the feedback anyways.

you lose alot of features of the gpu if you dont install the proper drivers so I would of thought it would of been easy to install the proper drivers by the time it got in to RHEL.

other distros have easy and reliable methods to install proper GPU drivers such as ubuntu,opensuse,mandriva to name a few.

12. wilbertnl

I failed to find which option is used to install CentOS 6?
    On a desktop I selected from the first DVD the "Desktop" option, on a music server I selected "minimal" and on a laptop I selected also "minimal" and did an after-installation of the Desktop Environment.

CentOS has it's software grouped in packages and I manage them with yum grouplist | groupinfo | groupinstall (read "yum help")

When I do a yum grouplist on my desktop, it shows which groups are installed. That list contains support for all kinds of languages that I never heard of before. So I removed these languages and the list looks like this:

Code:
    Installed Groups:
       Base
       Debugging Tools
       Desktop
       Desktop Debugging and Performance Tools
       Desktop Platform
       Dial-up Networking Support
       Directory Client
       E-mail server
       Electronic Lab
       Fonts
       General Purpose Desktop
       Graphical Administration Tools
       Hardware monitoring utilities
       Input Methods
       Internet Applications
       Internet Browser
       Java Platform
       Legacy UNIX compatibility
       Legacy X Window System compatibility
       Milkymist
       NFS file server
       Network Infrastructure Server
       Network file system client
       Networking Tools
       Office Suite and Productivity
       Optional packages
       Performance Tools
       Perl Support
       Print Server
       Printing client
       SNMP Support
       Scalable Filesystems
       Server Platform
       Web Server
       X Window System

There are probably a few items that I wonder I would need,
    but my point is: if you want to select the packages yourself, just install minimal and after reboot launch:
    # yum groupinstall Base "General Purpose Desktop" Desktop Fonts "X Window System" (etc...)

13. wilbertnl

I would like to bring to your attention the 'continuous release ( CR ) repository' which gets installed with the command:
    Code:
    # yum install centos-release-cr
    After updating the system, I notice the 6.1 kernel (2.6.32-131.17.1.el6) and of course lots of updates. I assume that this repo enables the users to run CentOS 6.1 while waiting for the iso to be released.

In case you use the yum protectbase plugin, you need to add protect=1 to the CentOS-CR.repo.
    (Also reduce your download bandwidth with yum-presto!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.