cd rootkits

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by trekie12cat, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trekie12cat

trekie12cat Registered Member

i have recently bought music cds and would like to play them on my ipod. but i don't want any software most espicaly rootkits installed. is there a warning like a prompt that ask you to intall something or is it ass automatic. can looking at the cd contses show me non music files or are they hidden. ps i have an old win98se machine if i can get the cd working it keeps opening even at bois. mybe i can clean it. but i heard that win98se does not support root kits so if they are on disk i should be able to see them right? and what about holding the shift key when putting the disk in?

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

For those discs which require the installation of software before you can play them -- you will be prompted.

As to whether or not the installed software contains malware -- you would have to scan the files before installing. You are, of course, at the mercy of the reliability of the scanner(s).

In cases of surreptitious automatic installation via a .inf file and executable files on the root of the drive -- any program with execution protection will alert|block the automatic installation.

Holding down the left Shift key while inserting the disc *should* prevent AutoRun.

Whether or not you can view the files on the disc depends on how they were written to disc by the company.

----
    rich

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You can also disable the Autorun feature altogether.
    Cheers,
    Mrk

4. trekie12cat

trekie12cat Registered Member

how do i disable auto-run? im on windows xp home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.