CD ROM Tray Opens

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by georgy, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgy

georgy Registered Member

Hi,

I run XP home edition on a Dell computer. Over the last few days, my CD ROM tray has started to open itself upon boot up or during using the computer. At first it opens a little bit, and then it might just suddenly open all the way. I can shut it, but it does not stay closed for long.

Any ideas please? Email, georgy_scott@hotmail.com.

Thanks,

Georgy.

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Could be hardware or software related. If you have not installed any new software prior to the problem starting then I would lean towards a hardware issue. The tray could be misaligned, can easily happen. Or the lens could be dirty or damaged. If it still under warranty I would be calling Dell. If not then at the low prices you can pick one up for it may be time for a new one. It all depends on how much\long you want to pursue it.

3. georgy

georgy Registered Member

If the tray is missaligned, how do I fix it? I have not installed any software, and all my numerous spyware/ virus checkers detect nothing.

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Most have a small dress up face plate which has the name\type of the optical drive that it is. This is held on in any number of ways, tabs, clips, glue. Or, anymore the internal mechanism responsible for opening\closing the tray is mostly plastic (gears). They are easily damaged or put out of sync by pushing the tray closed with to much force. (does not take much). Not sure of any definitive way to fix your problem as it would depend on the cause. My suggestion, bite the bullet and invest in a new drive. Depending on the age of the PC, life expectancy of optical drives is usually only a couple of years depending on usage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.