CD Encryption

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by worldcitizen, Dec 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I wonder if any thought has been given to be able to 'lock' cds with an encrypted password so that only I could have access to the contents.

It's great to be able to encrypt files on hard disk but almost everyone keeps backups on cds so without cd protection anyone can still access the same data on cd if I have made a backup.

Or would I just burn the encrypted file to cd and when I need to access it then could I decrypt it from cd?

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Yeah, just ENCRYPT the files on your hard drive first then copy them to CD. From there you can decrypt them whenever you want from the CD.

-Jason-

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Burn the encrypted files to a CD would be an option now.
    I read some reviews about special software for password protecting your cd, so as long as CS isn't encrypting a whole disc/partition/cd-rom that might be an idea to look at.
    But i would still put the encrypted files on that cd for extra protection.

4. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I am currently using Steganos Security Suite for encryption, but will buy a license for CryptoSuite (which I am trialling and which I like very much) because of its extra features and strongr encryption. Nevertheless Steganos has some very useful features too.

One is the "Safe", where you can create encrypted virual drives up to a total of 128 GB. This is the featrure I use most a it's very convenient. You can create your files and folders within the encrypted drives and don't have to delete originals. I would like to see something of this nature in CS.

The other interesting feature is the "Portable Safe": here you create a password protected virtual drive straight onto a CD. This feature seems similar to what worldcitizen is talking about and is certainly very convenient.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Virtual drives or disk containers and encrypting your whole drive sound nice but the way they are implemented leaves a bit of a security vacuum. Having to type in passwords all the time to log onto certain drives, etc. As you won't like to have to keep the safe open all time and close it each moment you're going away of the system or before a crash occurs, etc.

6. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Yeah, I do have a few personal issues with containers and full disk encryption, mostly on the security related side of things.

CryptoSuite will support containers in a future version however, this has always been planned. Hopefully I can also come up with a better way of doing them than current implementations. :)

Also steganography related features will probably be added soon also.

-Jason-

7. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

Jason,

I just paid for and received my CryptoSuite license and I'm really chuffed. It's a great program, like all DiamondCS programs.I will be buying ProcGuard next.

I have no doubt whatever that your implementation of encrypted containers will be superb, and a vast improvement on existing progs.

Thanks for the great work and the security your software provides!

Paul Stevens

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Nice post Caratacus and thanks:

Munch a Karma cookie fro me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.