cd da extractor alternatives?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zfactor, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i actually use and personally i really like cd da its a awesome program. and those that use it will know what i mean (if you like it that is lol) someone i know is looking for a program exactly like this but just doesnt know if they can spend 50$ on it as they are battling major medical bills among other things.

so the question is anything out there either free or very cheap that will do the same and work as well while doing it? one thing about cd da is it just works and will convert just about anything as far as audio goes, also it can change the bit rate on mp3's either making them smaller or larger (imo pointless to go larger as once its compressed not much will make it sound better) they want to make songs really small to go on their phone etc...

also things like working with track names is awesome with cd da.

anyway any thoughts on something comparable? they will NOT use nero so please do not suggest it even the older smaller versions as nero seriously messed up their system and they refuse to install anything to do with nero.

i showed them how to burn a audio disc from mp3 with imgburn and it works fine but imgburn of course doesnt do all the other things cd da does as far as audio goes. they also dont want to use a half dozen free tools to be able to handle that stuff.

thanks in advance for any help.

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

MediaMonkey free does everything you described.... and more...

Simple the best audio ripper, converter, editor and player. And it is free.:)

Panagiotis

3. zfactor

i have used that before and forgot all about it. only thing is it has a lot of stuff they will never use. how bloated is it will all the extras it has they dont own a ipod and probably never will (he is a bit old fashioned barely does a whole lot with the computers..lol)

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

LoL... you consider bloated an installer of 7,5mb ?

When installed occupies 32,2mb and is not bloated at all.

One note, for revealing the convert option you must enable the advanced toolbar.

Give a try to the various features and you'll understand the hidden power of this app. Especially the autotag from audio store sites like amazon and the normalization (tools-> analyze volume)...

Panagiotis

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Try this, i've used it before, simple, safe, works, and only 1.65 MB :thumb:

6. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Well, it's not as complete a program as others, but if you're looking for a CD ripper and converter to whatever format you like you'd might want to take a look at BonkEnc. It has a decent interface, plenty of translations and it's free. It's what I'd like to call "the new CDex" since they are very similar but the latter either isn't being developed anymore or development is very, very slow.

7. zfactor

thanks ill check those 2 out. the media monkey is okay but there is a lot of stuff in it he said they will never use. looking for something more straight foward and to the point now looking for anything to organize etc...

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

There are lots of these programs around. I don't need an organizer type program so lately I've been just using BonkEnc too. It has several options but is not too complicated.

9. zfactor

just tried bonkenc and now i cant remove it. and it does not show up in add remove... this sucks. it says smooth.dll is missing everytime i try to uninstall it

edit it says we can just delete the program folder....

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  10. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I use and recommend foobar2000 for all my playing/ripping/converting needs.

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

BonkEnc doesn't list an uninstall entry in the Add/Remove Programs list but there is an uninstall link in the BonkEnc Start Menu group. (I have no idea why the BE coder does it this way...)

12. zfactor

problem is i did not install the start group since i was only testing it. i just deleted the folder as it said to on the web site. maybe just to see ill reinstall it and try that.

13. roady

roady Registered Member

Another alternative:

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Don't let the beta status mislead you,it's actually FAR more stable than some commercial available programs....:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.