CCleaner Registry Cleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by encus, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. encus

encus Registered Member

Hi everybody!

Can Registry Cleaner in CCleaner totally delete all the registry keys leftover (i.e. registry keys leftover of Norton internet Security)?

Thanks.

2. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Norton removal tool is a better choice than ccleaner. You can also use ccleaner after running norton removal tool:)

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Fortunately Norton does not leave a terrible mess of the registry.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Never use a registry cleaner unless you know what you're deleting. Using the removal tool provided by the company is much safer and accurate.

5. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

I use registry cleaners constantly and over the last decade never experienced an issue. I recommend cleaning it regularly, then using a registry defrag to remove the gaps and compress it back down. Bullguard2013 has a great registry cleaner and defrag.

Advanced Uninstaller Pro has a good registry cleaner and registry defrag, and it is now free. I have used that registry cleaner+defrag on well over a dozen+ machines.
    http://www.advanceduninstaller.com/

6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Interesting that bullguard added a registry cleaner...seeing as most people dont approve of them,
    I have registry life installed and against my better judgement i use it and haad no issues yet.

7. DanL

DanL Registered Member

They use to be one of the worst for removal. They have definitely come a long way with their product.

8. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Its selectable to be off if needed.

Attached Files:

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

As sm1 said the Norton removal tool is a much better option.

But if you the uninstall completed without any errors and you are not having any issues, there is no need to do anything. Left over registry keys do not matter at all, you will not get any benefit from removing them.

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That's a fact. I had to clean up a machine that had 2005 once (I would not use Norton in those days) and it took about an hour to deal with it.

My experience with the CCleaner registry cleaner is that it is one of the safest though also the least thorough (probably for that reason). But yes, if you don't know what you are doing you probably shouldn't use one at all.

11. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

When I had BullGuard installed and cleaned my registry, my Office stopped working, the moment I launched MS Word for example it acted as if it was reinstalling itself but eventually did work after taking about 1 min

Never trust that BullGuard stuff and certainly never trust a reg cleaner that comes bundles as snake oil with any suite

Leave those tasks to people who know what they're doing best.

Example: AV company, knows how to remove virsuses
    Example 2: Cleaning company, knows how to remove registry entries, like CCleaner or Wise Disk Cleaner

12. The Red Moon

be unfair to blame bullguard for that....all registry cleaners have risks.

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Exactly, and unless you're going to manually verify the so called errors found you really shouldn't be using any registry cleaner at all.

14. anniew

anniew Registered Member

Quick question...using Advanced Uninstaller, does it matter the order of uninstall?

The online help says it flags "common files", but I don't know if that applies to registry tweaks on installation. I can see where common entries might have been tweaked more than once over time with several installs. What I don't know is if it is smart enough to figure out what the state should be, or just leaves it untouched by default.

15. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Never use a registry cleaner, furthermore I will tell you a secret: since my last format (3-4 months ago) I didn't reinstalled CCleaner.

Besides, I think that CCleaner description is deceptive:

Faster and more secure computer? How? Because I didn't noticed any difference in terms of speed without having CCleaner installed. CCleaner protects my privacy online? How? Does it comes with some 'Privacy Shield' or what? I used CCleaner for years since the first release but not anymore. Follow my advice and get rid of CCleaner because it makes 0 difference. The disk cleaning part is pure 'snake oil' just like the almighty registry cleaner.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  16. The Red Moon

Not deceptive in the least.

That is a common tagline used by all products of this nature.
    Marketing is part of any product.

17. anniew

anniew Registered Member

Thanks for replying...

I presume you are advising to never use a registry cleaner, correct?

Just want to make sure I understand, thanks.;)

18. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Yep, sorry for that. I am just a little bit tired + English is not my primary language + one beer because is weekend!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.