CCleaner, difference between regular build and slim build

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fly, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I've been using the slim build of Ccleaner recently. (IE 7 Windows XP Home Edition SP2)

It seems that the slim build does not clean everything.

It removes the http:// entries, but not everything.

As an example, when I type 'e' in the browser, it shows 'Electronic Freedom Foundation defending Freedom in the Digital world', 'Exercise Won't make You Thin', and more. These entries were not removed by Ccleaner.

Is that any different from the regular version of Ccleaner ?

I'm aware that the regular version has a toolbar. Are there any other differences ? The difference of the size of the regular version's file compared to the slim build is HUGE.

2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

No, they are exactly the same.

3. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

When you typed "e" in the Web Browser Address Bar, the resulting list:

'Electronic Freedom Foundation defending Freedom in the Digital world'
    'Exercise Won't make You Thin'

are the results of the query displaying the Shortcut Entries in the Favorites Root Directory, in other words,
    all Shortcut Entries in the Favorites Folder that begin with the letter "e" will be displayed in the Browsers Address Bar as the result of the query "e"
    the last entry in the list will be: Search for "e"
    The query will only search the Root Directory of the Favorites Directory (folder) not the Subdirectories (subfolders)

If one would configure CCleaner , or any other privacy cleaner, to wipe the Favorites Directory, the resulting query would be: Search for "e"

HKEY1952

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you.

5. Fly

Fly Registered Member

As stated above, the slim build would be exactly the same as the regular build, except for the missing toolbar.

But why is the regular build 2 MB larger than the slim build ?
    The toolbar can't be that massive ...

6. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

My understanding is that the slim build does not contain the toolbar *and* it's English-only. The addition of multiple languages to the regular build probably adds a little more beef vs. the slim build.

7. stackz

stackz Registered Member

The slim build contains all the additional languages and all that extra size is solely due to the toolbar.

8. prius04

Wasn't aware of that, thanks. I do recall reading on their forum something to the effect that the slim build was sans toolbar and other languages but it looks like that was not accurate.

Anyway, I suppose it makes sense that the increase in size is due to the toolbar alone because the slim build is close to the same size as the portable. I use the portable build and, sure enough, when I checked the folder after reading your post, there was the language folder with around 40 files in it.

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Yeah, I had noticed that the slim build comes in many languages.
    The question remains: what is in that 2 MB ram ? The toolbar cannot possibly be that large ...

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hi there, reading this thread I'm wondering if we're all thinking of the same thing. The toolbar being discussed is the Yahoo Toolbar that you can opt out of during install, right?

11. prius04

Apparently it *is* that large. I'm with you on the 'hard to believe it's that large', though.

http://toolbar.yahoo.com/ie?.cpdl=dyc

Attached Files:

12. prius04

Yes, one and the same.

Attached Files:

13. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

It does not take much code to compile an two megabyte file Fly, size would also depend on how it was written.
    The author could tap the Windows API (application interface) and use the built in Windows components in some instances, or write it from scratch, or parts of it from scratch.
    There are modules for Browser Helper Objects (BHO) that must be coded to support all Browsers, there are Internet modules, security warning dialog windows/boxes (could tap the Windows API here), however,
    code must still be written to display the text. There are hundreds of lines of code to trap internal errors, trap Internet threats, there are modules for customizations of the Toolbar, and more.

HKEY1952

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.