CAT QuickHeal 2006

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I noticed there is a version 2006 planed for september,but they state you can download trial version of 2006 edition form their page. Butr i cannot seem to find it? Or is that meant to be available in september?

2. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Wonder if the company miraculously changed to a company full of people that actually give a crap? Or I wonder if it detects more than 30-35% ZOO with this version? Or I wonder if they actually added heuristics, rather than a fancy checkbox that does nothing? (According to their response in email to me admitting this).

We can only wonder.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah i'm not interested in buying it or anything,i just like to test this and that and i ran out of products... :D

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

RejZor,

while waiting for QH 2006, if you are bored why not try out other lesser known AV's such as Peruvian AntiVirus or Ikarus ? :D :p :blink:

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Hm,good idea. Ikarus is made by our Austrian neighbours iirc :D

6. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Oh, QuickHeal's DNAScan does detect something. Not malware, but rather runtime packers. If they would bother giving names you maybe could replace PEID with it. ;-)

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Does it even unpack UPX now? Or is it detected as "suspicious" by DNAScan?

8. mattnewnham

mattnewnham Registered Member

Peddytech have become the South African Distributors for Quickheal recently. The company was the distributor for Norman. Our mandate was to source a product that was equal or better than Norman in terms of protection, functionality, price, support and sale/marketing determination. Quickheal was one of a handful tested over 3 months. A number of lesser known products were evaluated but Quickheal shone through becuase:

1. The team at CAT are very clued up and more than helpful for both technical and sales related support.
    2. The product is detecting and removing viruses that many other products, Norman included, cannot detect or cannot remove.
    3. The product is not resource hungry, even the powerful total security suite simply sits in the background
    4. The new DNAScan technology is very powerful and is proving to be a winner, when installing QH informs the user that a malicious file has been found and the installation should be terminated, we have learned to ignore this as QH actually removes this maliciuos file during installation!
    5. The updates are very accurate and fast - we currently run Norman on some machines, kaspersky on others with F-secure on a laptop - Quickheal's defintions arrive sooner and seem to be smaller.

I think the days of only picking up 35% of theats are behind the product, in South Africa we are having tremendous success with over 1000 units sold in the first 6 weeks of dedicated sales. We also now have a number of household names and corporates using the product who have been amazed at the product much to our pleasure!

9. DjMaligno

DjMaligno Hispasec/VirusTotal

I would not say such a thing that QuickHeal's updates are smaller than Kaspersky's ones...

10. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Please excuse me, but do you actually know about what you're speaking here?

11. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

They should put this on peddytech.com front page. Sounds like a nice advertisement. Too bad this IS NOT TRUE at all. But it may fool some of your future customers. LOL

tD

12. Windfresh

Windfresh Registered Member

How about the price for Quick Heal Total Security-70!$.Impressed?Their firewall is a mere ridicule.For such sum of money one can buy Bitdefender Pro,F-Secure or Kaspersky Personal Pro(even cheaper).Wanna say Quick Heal is better than Bitdefender!,F-Secure!! or Kaspersky!!!?One can buy the 1-st class AV such as Dr.Web,VBA32 ,Macafee and many others PLUS the best firewall ever-Agnitum Outpost Professional.All it will eat those 70$.
    The guys from CAT must be great jokers.Don't want to be accused of bashing ,just want to emphasize as economists say the disbalance between the price and quality...
    Kind regards

13. Mack Jones

Mack Jones Registered Member

Wahoo ! Civil War on Wilders ! :doubt:

Please Gents,
    Let's say QuickHeal is trying to improve its engine (aka: a real heuristic soon).
    Please don't use words like "ridicule", "great jokers"...QH is not Kaspersky Labs, money should be an issue (even if Dialogue Science shows the contrary), and this company is trying to do its best to offer a good product.
    I'm sure they're working hard.
    Even if, and I agree with Technodrome, some remarks here sounds like ads.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. ;)

Warm regards to all of you,
    M.J.

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

OK I'm here to give my opinion :)

QuickHeal has got very clever marketing staff. Our dear PeddyTech is enough proof of that.

This is heavily dependent on the time of day you call them. For the record, their call centre channel is NOT 24-hours, at least in India.

Yeah right...sits in the background and does little to protect the PC

Doesn't the above statement say that there is a small bug in the program? o_O

Honestly, the company may try its best to improve its product, but the marketing practices they use (including billboards, buses, vehicles, magazine ads, flaunting of VB100 awards and using it to simply say "100% detection" and more - Yes this is how QH is marketed in India), are really not very good.

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

DNAScan ? What has DNA to do with malware ?
    As far as I know DNA has something to do with living creatures and is used to identify people in criminal investigations, but not to identify malware.

Is this also a marketing thing ? DNA sounds more spectacular, than definitions or fingerprints and probably sells better.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well i (and probably) others have nithing against naming. The DNA is probably meant as identifying malware by decoding their DNA. BitDefender HiVE (Heuristics in Virtual Environment) also sound futuristic but in fact it's just a hyped up name for good ol' Sandbox tech. Or ESET ThreatSense (their official name for Advanced Heuristics). Or SOPHOS's Genotype(TM). Has nothing to do with genes don't you think? So this part is just fine regarding QuickHeal in my opinion.

17. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

OK. I agree with you, but for another reason LOL.
    The name "virus", which is nothing but a computer program, is also a living organism.
    If I couldn't accept DNA or Genotype, I couldn't accept virus either and that would be silly, because virus is already used so many years in the Security World.
    So you are very right :)

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

They (we) even use word parasitic virus for those which infect files by adding extra (own) code to system files and/or documents. There are also mutating polymorphic viruses that actually mutate over time. Basically entire PC "ecosystem" looks pretty much the same as ecosystem in real life. If you get infected,others close to you (email addresses) will also get infected. If you have strong immune system (antivirus) you have greater chances to sustain attacks from parasites and thus prevent further infections of others.
    So yeah there can be comparison with real life namings for malware like DNA and Genes :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.