Carbon Black Defense

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ptsysadmd, Feb 14, 2017.

1. ptsysadmd

ptsysadmd Registered Member

Has anyone tried out Carbon Black Defense yet?

I'm looking to potentially replace our traditional security suite with this product, but I can't find much other than marketing material on it so far.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Why? What are you using now and why don't you like it?

Frankly, I don't like "suites" because they tend to be very bloated with all sorts of extras (junk?) most users just don't need that tend to hog resources and in some cases, bog down performance while offering no better security.

I have found that Windows' own Windows Defender (in W8 and W10 or MSE in W7) work just fine along with Windows integrated Windows Firewall. It is important to note that regardless the security setup you use, you should always have a supplemental scanner to make sure you, or your primary scanner did not let something slip by. I generally recommend Malwarebytes for that. In the nearly 8 years I've used WD/MSE and Malwarebytes on all our systems here, we have never, not once, been compromised.

Of course good user discipline is still required - that is, the user (ALWAYS the weakest link in security) must ensure the operating system and installed programs (especially the security apps) remain fully updated and the user must not be "click-happy" on unsolicited downloads, attachments, pop-ups, and links - the same practices required regardless the security programs installed.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It's not meant for home PC's, so I don't think a lot of people have tried it. What security suite are you using now, and how big is your company?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.