Car washes can be hacked to physically attack you and your vehicle

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hawki, Jul 27, 2017.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Car washes can be hacked to physically attack you and your vehicle...

Cybersecurity researchers have discovered a way of hacking into an internet-connected car wash and trapping customers inside, before attacking them with its mechanical arm, doors and water jets.

The hackers were able to log into the car wash remotely, enter its "easily guessable" password, then take control of its doors and a mechanical arm used to spray water and wax at vehicles. Warning systems to stop the machine inflicting damage on a car can be shut down, letting hackers hit vehicles with the arm and doors, or lock the doors and spray water continuously to prevent customers from easily escaping..."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/car-washes-can-be-hacked-physically-attack-you-your-vehicle-1632208

Destined to be a scene in an upcoming movie for sure -- "Attack of The Killer Car Washs" or something.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Oh now this is the best one yet.

Remember that strange sensation when you took your first car through one and the brushes moved right alongside and over the roof?

Noisy stuff (water jets) but yeah you can almost imagine the panic as someone throws their car into gear and zooms forward to escape a malfunctioning (or hacked) :eek: car wash.

Ever been jammed in one and the car behind you is getting closer?

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Hackers will probably jack the car too o_O

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

EASTER prefers the old-fashioned method. Self-Service where YOU control the pressure wand.

6. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Truth be told, hawki has not used a commercial car wash in over seventeen years since his windshield cracked on a hot day after his car went through one. hawki has since exclusively relied on "The Rain Method." Works well -- highly recommended.

7. itman

itman Registered Member

Every young kid's nightmare the first time through the car wash is exactly this; the car wash is a monster. Now we need a Holleywood movie tiltled 'Boogie Wash.'

8. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Doesn't work good in places it snows and they use a lot of salt on the roads.

Just last week I had a bad car wash experience. Bought the full blown wash. two cars ahead of me went through fine. I drove in slowly, the side blasters worked fine, I drove till it told me to stop and then the one arm moved from front to back of my truck and then the sign said car wash is done please exit.

9. itman

itman Registered Member

Consider yourself lucky. I once ended up with a nice groove down the center of my hood its entire length.

10. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

One of the benefits of having grown children, they wash my vehicles and I don't have to worry about the "Killer Car Wash" :argh:
    Unbelievable, what are they going to hack next. :mad:

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

12. hawki

hawki Registered Member

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.