Capsa (auto-startup; save email contents; project template)

Discussion in 'Capsa Network Analyzer' started by rx2pc, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rx2pc

rx2pc Registered Member

Hi Kevin,

I am licensed user of CommView and using Capsa as a trial. This is a great application. There is so much to learn here. :)

I have two questions to start:

Is there a way to have Capsa automatically start capture at startup like CommView?

Also can Capsa minimize to the system tray?

Thanks

2. Colasoft

Colasoft Colasoft Support

Re: Capsa

Hello rx2pc,

Thank you for your great suggestions!

Unfortunately you have to use command line to enable this feature (see post below), but we have already considered adding an easy way to enable this feature as well as customizable capturing cycle into version 7.0, a version far more advanced than the current version and I sincerely hope you can stick with us.

Actually we did have this feature in version 4.0, however later we stripped it. I will discuss with the development department soon whether to add this in version 7.0. I will let you know as soon as we decided.

Feel free to leave a message if you have any future questions. We really value your suggestions.

Regards,

Kevin

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  3. Colasoft

I just got the confirmation from the development department that this feature will be surely added in version 7.0. Moreover, when you call it from the system tray, a simple user validation will be applied to enhance software security.

Regards,
    Kevin

4. Colasoft

Temporarily you may follow the following steps to set Capsa automatically start capture at startup:

Step 1

Open "project settings" and enable "Save as default settings"

step1.gif

Step 2

Create a desktop shortcut and point it to "Capsa.exe"

add
    <---start of the command line--->

/autostart "C:\Documents and Settings\your login name\Application Data\Colasoft Capsa\User.csctemp"

<---end of the command line--->

to the location.

For example:

"C:\Program Files\Colasoft Capsa 6.6 EE\Capsa.exe" /autostart "C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\Application Data\Colasoft Capsa\User.csctemp"

step2.gif

Step 3

Add the shortcut into "Start/Startup" group

5. rx2pc

rx2pc Registered Member

Thank you for your quick response, Kevin.

The workaround for the auto startup is fine for now. I am sure Capsa will continue to grow.

I probably will end up making a purchase. Capsa is much more advanced than CommView. Actually, Capsa is like Tamosoft's CommView and Net Resident applications all in one. Capsa would give me the ability to only have to run one application now instead of two.

Capsa allows me to see router traffic which was not the case with CommView. It also seems to show more types of traffic overall even though I have the same protocols enabled in CommView.

The diagnostics are really good and even offers solutions too. This is impressive.

6. rx2pc

rx2pc Registered Member

I have just a few more questions.

1. When I start Capsa, I receive this message:

You will not see email copies in the Logs - Email Messages view because you have not enabled "Save Email Contents".

How do I enable "Save Email Contents"?

2. The Adapter Test shows:

Capturing traffic, only local and broadcast traffic captured for my network card.

Open adapter failed for my loopback.

What does this all mean? Capsa is showing the traffic for both.

3. Does Capsa have the ability to show which application is generating the traffic?

7. rx2pc

rx2pc Registered Member

Never mind. I think I see what is happening here. I can only see traffic in/out of my computer. Also between my computer and router. I guess I will not be able to see traffic directed to my router from the WAN side due to the way I have Capsa installed.

The loopback failure message is strange. Capsa is showing loopback activity even though this message appears.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  8. Colasoft

Capsa allows you to save email logs and contents for future reference. If this function is not enabled, you may not be able to view email contents, and email logs will be only saved in the buffer.

To enable "Save Email Contents"

Step 1 Open "Project Settings-Log"

step1.gif

Step 2 Customize your settings

step2.gif

Step 3 "OK" to save your settings

What's more, you may setup conditions and exceptions whether not to save email logs.

step3.gif

For correct installation please refer to http://www.colasoft.com/support/installation/

Sorry the current version is not supporting this feature, we will consider adding this feature into our future versions. Currently you may analyze the traffic based on protocols, endpoints and ports.

9. Colasoft

Hi rx2pc,

Sorry for this late reply. Thank you for your comments and support.;) Should you have any questions, just let me know.

Regards,
    Kevin

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  10. rx2pc

rx2pc Registered Member

Kevin,

Here are three more things.

1. There is a setting in Tools>Options>General to always show maximized window when start the program.

I have this unchecked but Capsa still starts in a maximized state. I am using your auto startup method mentioned in post #4. Is there a minimized switch I can add?

2. Is there a way to shut off the save changes message at shut down?

3. Is there a way to tell Capsa to use a specific project as the default to open?

Thanks for your help.

11. rx2pc

rx2pc Registered Member

I am now a licensed user:cool:

12. rx2pc

rx2pc Registered Member

Originally Posted by rx2pc

3. Does Capsa have the ability to show which application is generating the traffic?

I really hope to see this added.:)

13. Colasoft

Capsa will remember the window status last time you shut if off and apply the status when you start it again. Currently, to minimize Capsa window at startup you can:

1. Minimize it to the taskbar

2. Close the window using right-click menu or "Alt+F4"

Then next time you start Capsa, it will be minimized to the taskbar.

Note: You need to restore the window using the right-click menu.

Again, an easy way to "minimize Capsa to the system tray" will be added in Version 7.0.

Sorry, the current version does not support automatically save project at shutdown. However, you can set Capsa to automatically save all captured packet files in your local drive for future analysis.

image1.gif

To setup a default project template just customize all your settings in the "Project Settings" dialog box and enable "Save as default settings"

image2.gif

14. Colasoft

Hi rx2pc,

Thank you for choosing our product. I really hope it can help you in your future life and work and we appreciate your suggestions.

Regards,
    Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.