Can't write to a DVD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CWBillow, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CWBillow

CWBillow Registered Member

I have a Plextor 708a RW DVD...

I cannot get True Image to write to the DVD...

I've tried 3 different brands...

The drive works with Nortn, with NTI...

It keeps telling me to insert a *CD* into the drive...

??

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

2. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

CWBillow

did you format the DVD's first.
    :rolleyes:

3. S?ul

S?ul Registered Member

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello chuck,

When Acronis asks prompts you to insert a CD just insert a preformatted DVD instead. If you haven't already done so, please read this <Acronis Online FAQ>.

Regards

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello CWBillow,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The current version of Acronis True Image does not write to DVD disсs directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software. We may recommend you to install a UDF packet DVD writing software such as Ahead InCD or Roxio DirectCD, format DVD disсs by means of this software and then use formatted disсs with Acronis True Image.

Please also read the following: http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/faq.html#20

We will certainly implement direct DVD recording in Acronis True Image in the future.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. Jeff7

Jeff7 Registered Member

I'm also having trouble writing to a DVD.
    It is a DVD+RW disc, formatted to UDF 1.50 with Nero's InCD v4.3.14.1. I also tried UDF 2.60. Same thing happens though - TrueImage 8.0 (build 903) asks for a blank disk after I click Proceed to begin the backup. But it then errors out, telling me that it can't continue, saying that the disk is full. All the disc has on it is the UDF formatting data, nothing else.

What gives here? The disc is Verbatim brand, made by Ritek, so I would expect it to be good.

Edit - now, reading over the instructions again, I see the critical words in there.
    "Acronis True Image 8.0 is capable of writing to a DVD disk in Windows if UDF packet DVD-writing software is installed, and the DVD disk is formatted."

So I guess there's no support for writing to DVD if you use the boot CD. Nice.

I don't think it's possible to create a good backup of the boot drive while Windows is running from it. Certain files are locked out. So am I stuck creating an image file on the drive I'm backing up, and then writing it to a DVD with Nero?

7. CWBillow

CWBillow Registered Member

I've solved the problem, at least for now, using NTI's Drivebackup...

It doesn't compress as tightly as Acronis, nor is it quite as fast, but it DOES read and write DVD's well.

Chuck

8. Jeff7

Jeff7 Registered Member

Hehe, I guess that clearly tells Acronis' programmers, "Yes, we do really want native DVD-writing capability." It'd be really great if a future build of 8.0 adds this capability.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jeff7,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

It is impossible to create the image and store it to DVDs if you use Acronis Bootable CD. However, Acronis exclusive technology does allow you to create god image of the system partition with the operating system running. You may read this article if you need more details on how Acronis True Image operates under Windows.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. Jeff7

Jeff7 Registered Member

Sounds like True Image just tells the system "Yo, chill, it's aight," while it carefully reads the forbidden files. Nifty.

I guess I'm just worried, because my one instance of imaging a Windows partition while the system was running from it didn't work - that was off of a Promise SX4000 card running RAID 5. For that I needed to use the boot CD to restore the image file....which brings up something else, more on that later. Anyway, the resulting restoration was unbootable, possibly because the boot CD still lacks proper support for the SX4000, which does have Linux drivers available for it.

The "something else" - as I understand it, I'll need the boot CD to restore an image to the system's hard drive, correct? Can the boot CD read a UDF DVD? If not, how do I restore the image that's on a UDF formatted DVD, besides sticking the hard drive into another PC?

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Jeff,

"Yes" in answer to both of your questions.

Regards

12. matt832

matt832 Registered Member

I'm using ver. 7.x and will continue to use it until the folks at Acronis get their act together and write to DVD directly. As it stands it's a pain. To back up to DVD I save to a networked computer that has more room and a DVD burner and limit the file size to about 3.9G I then burn these files to DVD. It's pain but it has saved me.

This is just one of the little "quirks" in Acronis that prevents me from giving them any more $$ until they get it right. I really like the interface, and the ease of use (in most cases) but for me several of the "features" just don't work.

13. Jeff7

Jeff7 Registered Member

Excellent. I was just checking, because it'd suck to find out that I'd have images that I couldn't restore - yes, sometimes serious programming glitches get through.
    I know it's not really a comparison, as this is AOL - AOL IM has something stupid in one of its File Save dialogue boxes - it needs you to specify a filename and location, in the format "z:\filename.exe"
    Well, thing is, you do that and it says that you cannot have : or \ in your filename. Ok, so you just type in "filename.exe" - then it says "must specify a path." HUH??!?? Nice Catch 22 that someone programmed in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.