Can't Use Any DCS Software!

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by worldcitizen, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I bought all 3 of the DCS Suite but can't use any of them.

TDS takes ages & ages to load and I just haven't got the patience. Other programs load almost instantaneously but TDS takes so long I just don't use it anymore. Even if I turn off the scanner - when I click on a file to open it takes forever to load while TDS is checking. It's just not worth the trade off of speed for security especially when I already have NOD 32 which does a very good all round job.

WormGuard - I can't use Incredimail with this version and I want to use it because it has many, many features I need. So I have had to dump WormGuard too because of incompatibility.

Next is Port Explorer. Haven't ever found much use for it so far so I just never bother to install it.

So the bottom line is that until DCS can come up with versions of software which doesn't take over the machine hook, line & sinker I'll just have to do without. NOD32 seems to provide just as good protection as all 3 combined and it doesn't take all day to load and doesn't interfere with any other programs.

So I really wish DCS would come up with more pc friendly programs so I can use them but until then I'll just do without even though I paid for all three programs.

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Well thats what trial versions are for :) . TDS does scans when it is loaded which is why it is slow on startup. Admittedly it should respond a bit better than it does, TDS-4 in this respect is much better. A new TDS-4 product will be out soon that should suit your needs quite well and you are entitled to it as a free upgrade (if you choose).

Maybe you should install Port Explorer and see if you have a need for it, I use it all the time, as do a lot of people. Its quite handy!

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

TDS - Just turn off ALL startup scans in Configuration o_O

Port Explorer - used all the time

Wormguard - free upgrade as soon as possible :D although we should be able to get Incredimail working with it, we get a lot of emails from Incredimail users and no other complaints. Wasnt there a thread about it here ? I would suggest there may be old file versions that may need updating and you can email me any time about this

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hell o worldcityzen,

Please try TDS3 set as the screanie below, if you are not using W2K or XP please intick the first box.

Also if you are running XP it may be better for you to start TDS3 manually.

The "process memory space scan" is the most intensive and can take a while to complete so untick as shown below. Most users do not do a full system scan on a daily basis but maybe once a week whilst away from there PC's

Attached Files:

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Yes, you had the same subject for WormGuiard and Incredimail in this thread two months ago and we were waiting for reactions and tests for the last info to work on.
    Please read through that thread again and look if there are any changes since.

In the meantime i see in the Look'n'Stop firewall forums also discussions for special settings and in NOD32 all relating to Incredimail, which you might like to check if there is anything suitable for your system and your situation, even if you would not be using LnS as a firewall.

I do like incredimail for what you can do with it but for security reasons i never would use it as my main email program, but TDS, WG and PE can offer lot of protection needed to avoid nasties to have any chance on your system to do any harm, but i wouldn't use it without all of those plus NOD32 fully armed oh and a proper firewall well configured.
    Outlook Express is not completely safe either but there are so many security patches by now -- as long as you have at least IE/OE 5.5 or 6 SP1 with all security updates and patches-- you can do a lot with that too, including running scripts, play music, images, etc.

What i wonder: if IE is patched for some security issues and vulnerabilities on the windows update site, those patches effect outlook express and windows, and IE, but do they effect incredimail itself too?

Like Pilli says: after reboot have TDS starting manually and yes, i have all options checked and am in a process of making room on my system with uninstalling unused programs and double stuff and documents i probably never look at anymore, etc etc so giving my programs more space to run properly, which saves lots of time too.
    I have all options checked including the sockets listening and the Memory Space Scan, but the minutes TDS is scanning i don't open all programs at a time till it's finished scanning so it has all room and space to do it's scanning work.
    The Full system scan you can do once a week or more frequent if you like, but also that is a heavy process and beside that i don't run unnecessary other programs, just email, one or two browsers open, PE, WG in the background and most of time when i'm not too much around (going to sleep or shopping f.e)

And system maintenance with defragging will help a lot too in most cases! (goes quickest in safe mode for many btw --all av/at needs to be closed with that anyway-- on my system the only way as the firewall even though closed does block some which is not the case in safe mode)

So For the WG <> Incredimail issue let's continue the thread mentioned, and Port Explorer if you read through the threads there feel free to open a new discussion in the PE forum there so we can walk you through your questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.