Can't uninstall Spyware Blaster 3.4

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by miss_kitty, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miss_kitty

miss_kitty Registered Member

here are my system specs
    XP Pro SP1 (Version 5.1 build 2600 xpsp1.020828.1920). Firewall is Kerio, anti Virus AVG.

Here is the message I get when I try to uninstall SWB 3.4 as recommended by the site before installing 3.5:
    "The uninstall log file “C:\Program Files\Spyware Blaster\unins000.dat is in a format not recognized by this version of the uninstaller. Cannot uninstall." :(

Mind you, I'm not sure I WANT 3.5 now. o_O I was looking for a place to turn off SWB so I could try to access the MS or Windows Update page-There's nowhere to turn it off. And now I can't get it off the box. :'(

Any magic tricks or workarounds? I'd really appreciate it.*puppy*

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Not familiar with that particular error. But a quick question? Did you disable all protection before attempting to un-install?

As far as Accessing Windows updates. Not aware of SWB interfering with it. I run 3.5 on my XP SP2 PC with no Windows update problems. What other Security programs are you running? Perhaps one that blocks Active-X? Do you receive an error message when attempting to update, if so, what?

3. miss_kitty

Spyware Blaster didn't halt me from going to Office Updates, which is the same thing. Only for Office. And it hasn't halted me in the past. I had to do a repair install last month and stuff has gone do-lally somewhat since then. I am assuming and hoping it's because I don't have all my updates anymore-I have a request for help in at MS for that issue.

I don't receive an error message. The page half-loads, then freezes. I have to shut down IE through task manager.

When you ask if I have disabled all protection before I uninstall do you mean on Spyware Blaster? I can't find where to do that. Nothing seems to allow me to do that on the 'Control' Panel.

It's kind of a bummer.

4. ThunderZ

Sorry to say, but it dose`t sound like a Windows update issue. After a repair install things can go kind of "do-lally". Do you only experience the page loading with MS updates?

When you first start SWB. Almost all the way on the bottom left under Quick Tasks you will see,

Enable All Protection
    Disable All Protection

5. miss_kitty

"When you first start SWB. Almost all the way on the bottom left under Quick Tasks you will see,

Enable All Protection
    Disable All Protection"

uh-that (Quick Tasks, Enable/Disable All Protection) is nowhere to be found on my version of Spyware Blaster. Not on the 'Protection Page, nor any of its tabs (status, IE, Restricted Sites, Mozilla/Firefox); Nothing undr System Snapshot or Tools or Updates. :'( .

Really. I do have a Database Error message :'( :'( :'( . It says"The Spyware Blaster database may be corrupted or missing. Click on the link below to run Check for Updates and download the latest database" :'(

6. ThunderZ

Wow, your system dose seem all "do-lallied". LOL (sorry, I love that expression) So have you tried downloading the latest database? Starting to sound like you have some real issues on your system. Have you thought about a f disk and a fresh install? Hopefully some one with some ideas may pop in. What was the reason for the repair install that seems to have started this whole thing?

7. miss_kitty

I REALLY don't want to do a fresh install, because I would have to dedicate hours to backing up my music files. However, I am at half capacity now and time is probably getting close anyway...

I do have the new version in a folder. The recommendation is to remove the old one first, I guess it might stop itself from installing if it detects the 3.4 already on the system. I use to keep old versions, but I ditched a lot of stuff a while ago, including old program downloads.

I got a message one day that there was a .dll coruption-just out of the blue-and nothing worked. It happened once before-a few years back.

This IS a very tetchy system and I knew nothing about computers when I got it-but it's been a fantastic teacher, as well as a never-ending source of frustration.:blink:
    I wouldn't recommend Gateway, Profile4, XP or anything else that I've got, but hey! Live and Learn :D

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I may have missed it but have u tried reinstalling 3.4 overtop then uninstalling? This may correct the uninstaller. As Thunder said, make sure to undo the protection first.

Also u can always update the database manually here if problems arise,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12266

snowbound

9. ThunderZ

Keep hoping someone will pop in with an idea or two. Never had a problem with SWB so never had to do much trouble shooting, sorry. An attempt at a fresh install of SWB may fix the problem. However, it sounds like your problems may run deeper. Side note; The next time you run into a .dll corruption problem, many MS based dlls` can be downloaded from various sites around the Web. Write down the exact name of the .dll and do a Google for it. As with anything that you download be vigilant and scan it. Then just place it in the necessary folder. It will tell you that it already exists and ask if you wish to overwrite it. Click yes and restart your PC. Or, you could simply rename the original .dll to .dll old or something like that then put the new one into the folder and restart. This has saved my bacon a couple of times on a custom version of XP I have that is not MS supported.

10. ThunderZ

Thanks Snowbound, overlooked the manual update option. SWB has always performed well for me so trouble shooting it is not a strong suite of mine.
    But other problems exist as mentioned in the quote above.

11. miss_kitty

IS there a place I can pick up 3.4?
    if I still had my folder of program setups, I'd still have that file.

As for the .dll download-I couldn't get on the internet-many .dll files were FUBAR'd :)

Ps thanks for all your help. I appreciate it loads.

12. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Thanks TZ.

Very bizarre....

So when u open SWB GUI(specifically looking at Quick Tasks at the bottom) the enable or disable protection options aren't there?

If that is so, reinstalling than uninstalling as i said is the only thought i have.

Attached Files:

13. miss_kitty

Where 'quick tasks' are shown, I have a yellow triangle with an exclaimation point in it an a big old ugly "Database Error" message. Uninstall is not working (see my OP for the verbatum message). Hence, my problem. It's in my system and I can't take it out.
    Nothing works. I can't enable or disable anything in this program.

14. miss_kitty

OK weirdness. I decided to throw all caution to the wind and install 3.5.1 over 3.4-I tried to find one on the internets, but no joy. So I did it and 3.4 seems to have disappeared from my system. And I have the quick tasks availble. And all my settings are the same.

Twilight zone. :eek:

Again, thanks for the help. :)

15. ThunderZ

Do I hear Rod Serling?

Dose IE work for MS updates now?

16. miss_kitty

Yes that is Rod Serling and No. IE still freezes when I try to go to updates. I wish M$ would allow FF to do updates-I'd never have to open Exploder again!!!
    I might as well have a bootlegged copy for all the help I get off them. Useless as female parts on a boar.
    But honesty and paying one's way, is of course the best policy. :p

17. ThunderZ

IE has run slow for me on updates as well. I use IE Tab extension for FF now. Works with MS updates like a dream. Go figure. o_O

18. miss_kitty

Thanks for the tip. I just installed it. I'll give it a go!:thumb:

19. ThunderZ

Good Luck. Hope it works for you. Not convinced it will solve your problems but let us know.

20. miss_kitty

it didn't work. It loaded an empty page, and froze. I had to close FF with Task Manager.:(

21. ThunderZ

I`m afraid you have some issues of unknown origin. :ninja: I`ll assume you are running an up to date anti-virus and a couple anti-spyware programs. Also, out of curiosity, how many items show up in task manager?

22. miss_kitty

In Applications, only my browser is on in Task Manager. I have up-to-date AVG and Kerio.
    Now, in Processes a lot of stuff is on-I have 30 processes running-some I know-some I don't.

I use Ad Aware SE and Spy bot-the boilerplate freebies.

I have disabled HID, Messenger and PlugandPlay. My cookies I monitor (I'm trying to figure out which one I blocked that keeps me from being remembered here :p).

No matter what I've done to this thing-there's always something a little hinky about it. I had them come take it away once and give me a new one (it wasn't new, and the hard drive would be full by now on that one) then cried myself to sleep that night and begged them to bring me back mine.
    I describe it like being in love with a heart-achingly handsome guy-who's a total bastard.

23. ThunderZ

Are you a writer by chance? You can be very descriptive. LOL If you can tolerate the eccentricities then more power to you. But you may want to start backing up all your essentials and think about a fresh install. With it being a Dell, I believe you should have received a restore disk. Till then I hope you will stick around Wilders. I`m pretty new myself but so far have enjoyed my time.

24. miss_kitty

I am not much of a writer, but I always did well in writing classes. Thanks for the compliment. It's a Gateway, BTW-not much different for Dell though, I'm sure.

I have installed many times (2 times on christmas eve, 2003. Hohoho fun! I wrestled Santa for that damn milk and cookies!)-but I think the last full install was 2 years ago-when I gave it back to the box tenders. I am on my own now. It's out of warranty.

I wish I could afford harddrive #2-I've almost had it a couple times, but then the car broke or the dog got sick.

But it is close to time for Backup, 0 writing and reinstall!

Thanks again!

25. MOOandOINK

MOOandOINK Registered Member

Hi, I was searching for uninstall SpywareBlaster while using Google and this thread popped up on it.

I'm here for basically the same problem. My problems seem to be identical to Miss Kitty's. The 2 differences are I have SpywareBlaster 3.2 and I just want to get rid of it. I heard Spybot is the best system now for deleting spyware with. So now my question is what's the best way to uninstall Spywareblaster? Lord knows I'm tempted to just go into my program files and delete it :D Is that safe though? I haven't used my SpywareBlaster for months. I've been using Ad-Aware in the meantime. I'd like to find better than that too though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.