can't run Spyware Blaster 4.2

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by cellochick, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cellochick

cellochick Registered Member

Hello,
    I stopped Avast and Windows firewall, emptied my temp files, and downloaded the .exe file for version 4.2 and installed it. I set it to run Spyware Blaster when finished but nothing happened. Then I clicked on the icon, and the hourglass showed up for 5 seconds and then disappeared.

There are no Spyware processes running. I've never had this problem with the program before. Running IE 7 or Firefox 2.0 on XP Media Center.

No other trojan protectors or AVs running. Please help.

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Did you, per the instructions, also disable protection and then uninstall the older version before installing 4.2 ?

3. cellochick

4. crofttk

OK, just wanted to clarify that for complete information's sake. When I've had a problem like this with other software (never with SWB) it usually related to security software or other software conflicting.

Maybe you can run msconfig and keep other softwares and services (non-MS probably) from loading. If the problem resolves, then reboot adding successive software and service startups back until the problem reappears.

BUT, hopefully, a quicker answer arrives from someone else who solved the same problem.

5. cellochick

So is this the only option? Using msconfig?

6. crofttk

It's one of many options available for the approach I suggested. Others for that approach would be Winpatrol free version, or Autoruns - but use Autoruns with care, much more thorough. There are other programs, I'm sure, to do this although I couldn't name them without a search.

As for another approach, perhaps javacool or another member can suggest something better.

Another alternative is to submit a support ticket from here, after searching the knowledgebase: https://www.javacoolsoftware.com/su...ebase&_a=view&parentcategoryid=4&pcid=0&nav=0

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  7. cellochick

Using msconfig doesn't help. The program still will not install. I can't submit a ticket because I'm using the free version.

I would appreciate any other ideas. Thanks.

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Just to clarify: The installer completes and presents the option to "Run SpywareBlaster" at the end, but neither this option nor double-clicking on the SpywareBlaster shortcut seems to start the program?

Do you have the latest Service Pack and other updates for your XP installation? (i.e. Have you installed all patches available via Windows Update?)

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

9. cellochick

The program installs, but neither option (running the program at the end of install or clicking on the shortcut on the desktop) starts the program.

All updates installed, incl. Service Pack 3.

Thanks for helping.

10. cellochick

So...do I give up on using this program? I've never had problems with it before now. Any other suggestions?

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

are there errors or messages in event viewer logs?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

if you go to the install folder and click on spywareblaster.exe itself does it work? Check logs of your security software in case it is blocked

12. cellochick

Checked application, system, and security logs - nothing. Zone Alarm logs show nothing. Avast shows nothing.

Trying to run the program from the .exe in the install program does the same thing that trying to run it from the desktop icon does: arrow for about 15 seconds, and then the arrow just disappears and nothing happens.

So frustrating! Any other ideas?

13. jaybyrd33

jaybyrd33 Registered Member

Do you have an older system like Windows 98 or ME. Maybe it will only run on XP or Vista.

14. cellochick

running XP w/all updates
    There are no logs anywhere mentioning why the program won't load. Ran a virus scan, CCleaner. Still no luck.

15. wickwire

wickwire Registered Member

Seen this on several fully updated systems now. Spywareblaster 4.2 installs but just will not run at all. It only happens when updating to 4.2 as instructed and I have yet to see any solution for it. Seems to be totally ignored by Javacool too. Support is just as nonexistant as this new version of Spywareblaster is.
    Personally I have stopped using it as I do not expect it to be resolved. I will wait and see if the next version will run when and if it ever comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.