Can't run same differential backup twice

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Tim205397, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim205397

Tim205397 Registered Member

I am using the Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite, trial version

I scheduled a full backup to run weekly and ran it successfully, using Paragon's "Run Now" option.

Then I scheduled a daily differential backup. But to test it quickly, I used the Paragon's "Run Now" option instead of waiting for the Windows Task Scheduler to launch it later. This worked fine, creating a sub-directory containing the first diff backup files. To further test the diff backup task, I again used Paragon's "Run Now" option, but this time the diff backup exited immediately, doing nothing. (I think using Paragon's "Run Now" is equivalent to waiting for the Windows Task Scheduler to launch it, because I also tried using the "Run" function directly in the windows tool, with the same results.)

A few experiments showed that it's the presence of the sub-directory created by the first diff backup that causes problems for the second diff backup. (If I rename the sub-directory after the first diff backup, then the second diff backup runs fine (re-creating the sub-directory).

It seems to me that a daily Paragon diff backup needs to run unattended, placing new diff backups in the same sub-directory created by the first diff backup run. Hopefully I'm missing something easy.

Thanks.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Did you allow it to generate unique names for the diffs?

3. Tim205397

Tim205397 Registered Member

Thanks SIW2. Yes I was allowing new backup file names.

More data. The same Paragon diff backup did run last night via the Windows Task Scheduler, and yes it did create an additional diff backup in the same directory. Then this morning I again tried the "Run Now" option again but as before, no backup happened. (To be sure there was actually something new to backup I first added some files to the source partition.
    So it appears that the "Run Now" option only works once?

About your question re: allowing new backup file names, my understanding is that if I don't do this, then the diff backup will overwrite the previous one, but should still happen. Do you agree?

(I do have an active Paragon support ticket on this, but no response yet. I expect it soon as they have been quite prompt thus far.)

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, it's strange.

Please keep us posted of the outcome with support and what the resolution is

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.