Can't restore Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rex, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rex

Rex Registered Member

Hi there,

I have Acronis TI Deluxe and it seems to work well.

However, I have encountered a problem that I don't know how to resolve. I can save and explore and image but am unable to restore it. I get as far a ATI checking the drives and then it give me a message @The logical drive you have choosen is currently in use' Click .... to view opened files. Or choose one of the following actions: Retry, Reboot, Choose another disk.'

I want to restore an image of my C: drive from an image stored on another partition. Since ATI is installed in C:/Program Files, the above message seems to say that I cannot restore to a partition that is in use. I have now reinstalled ATI into a different partition, but I still get the same message.

My question is pretty basic. How do I restore a partition from an image when the partition that I want to restore to is in use? (Does that make sense?)

Many thanks in advance.

Rex

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Rex

TI can't restore an Active system partition from within Windows. It therefore needs to reboot into the Acronis Linux based rescue mode. Either choose to reboot when prompted as per above or create a bootable rescue CD and boot/restore from that.

Regards

3. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

Use True Image to create a bootable rescue CD. Boot to the rescue CD (make sure CD is selected as boot device before Hard drive in BIOS). Then follow instructions in the user guide to restore the image.

4. Rex

Rex Registered Member

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the advice. I have tried the reboot option.

And I do have a rescue CD. When I boot from either, I end up with a black screen, the word ACRONIS in the top left corner and a blinking cursor which will not do anything. Hitting any key produces nothing. Nothing works! So I have to give the three finger salute to go back to Windows.

I even have an image on CD, but cannot seem to restore from that either.

Help!!!!!! Not that restoring is of great importance right now. I just want to experiment so that I know what to do if/when the time comes.

Rex

5. Zintar

Zintar Guest

Have you tried "acpi=off noapic"? That worked for me, and Acronis Support then sent me an ISO with that built-in to make it automatic.

See the "PLEASE READ" sticky at the top for more info.

6. Rex

Rex Registered Member

Zintar,

Many thanks, but unfortunately, I have no idea what "acpi=off noapic" is or where I would enter it.

And what is a 'PLEASE READ' sticky and where exactly is it at the top?

Sorry to appear so dumb but as you can see from my posts, I am new to this forum and don't know my way around yet.

Rex

7. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

First of all, you can't restore an image to the active windows boot partition while you are in Windows, don't even bother to try. It doesn't matter if TI is on another partition, and it doesn't matter if you're trying to restore an image that is on a CD, if you try to restore an image to the active Windows boot partition while you are in windows, it simply won't work.

Second, everyone gets that screen with the Acronis logo and the blinking cursor when booting from the rescue CD. But I guess what your saying is that no matter how long you wait at that screen, it never goes into the gui? Cause mine will sit at the screen for a little bit but then the software gui will pop-up and it's ready to go. Maybe you just aren't waiting long enough?

Third, have you tried the Safe Mode version of the rescue CD? This means creating another rescue CD selecting Safe instead of Full.

Finally, regardless, you should read this post:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317
    This is the "Please Read" sticky mentioned earlier, and details how to use the "acpi=off blah blah blah" thing.

The sticky threads are the threads at the top of the support forum (the posts listed first that say "Sticky"). They are always at the top and represent important information that all users are expected to read prior to posting, though very few of us do...lol...so don't worry about it. But definitely do read them maybe it will help.

Good luck!

8. Rex

Rex Registered Member

JimmyTop,

Thanks. I'll give it all a try and let you know what happens. May be I just have to wait longer!

Rex

9. Rex

Rex Registered Member

Well, I watied, ten minutes and still the same screen.

So I went back to ATI and hit the Reboot Computer button. Wish I hadn't!

Computer started and went to a DOS like screen with a three line, repeating message (every second) that said: Unable to load MBR, press enter to continue; Unable to load RAMdrive, press enter to continue; Unable to load Linux kernal, press....' Pressing enter just paused the message; the three finger salute just paused the message.

Switch off and reboot the normal way and the message returns.

Used the start-up disk to get to the DOS prompt, went to C:\Windows\Win and got the same message. So restored from a recent Ghost image, clicked the Reset Computer button and got the same message. Trapped!!!!!

Asked around and was told how to restore the MBR (A: fdisk \mbr) and low and behold, back in action.

But not happy with ATI. Don't know what I have done wrong. Would be grateful for any advice as I don't really like Ghost.

Many thanks,

Rex

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.