Can't remove from Startup list

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by janetb, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janetb

janetb Registered Member

I wanted to use Returnil only for program installations (I use Avira for security). But AnVir TaskManager will not let me remove rvsmon.exe (Core Service) from my Startup list, and it won’t let me kill rvsgui.exe (User Interface). Is there a way to run Returnil only when desired? I have ALL functions turned off by default, as far as I can see, but am wary about having a program running which is capable of deleting my day's work at shutdown without warning.....

Thanks,
    Janet
    Win7 Home Premium 64-bit

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Janet,
    Please see your support ticket reply. One thing you might consider here is to:

1. Uninstall Avira and RSS
    2. Install RSS
    3. Re-install Avira

Order sometimes has has significant effect and can clear interference issues caused by other security programs.

Mike

3. janetb

janetb Registered Member

I haven't had any interference issues.....:)....!

The support ticket said there is no way to remove Returnil from the Startup list....more specifically, that it was designed to run all the time...:-(....As I am not interested in additional security (I have both Avira, WinPatrol, and the MS firewall and have never gotten any infections), I reckon I will uninstall it....I was really just interested in the virtual disk to try out apps and get them totally uninstalled when desired, but I believe VirtualBox has advantages in that regard (in addition to being suitable for 64-bit OS, it supports 32-bit True Color, as well as DirectX3d--so it runs a lot of apps that won't run on Win 7 and MS's VirtualPC). I'm waiting for RevoUninstaller Free to support 64-bit....:)....

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

You can disable the service through Windows component services if required and has been discussed in previous topics here in the forums. The problem is that it negates the purpose and protection capabilities of RSS which is counter productive.

If you are seeking a Virtual Mode only version without any need for scheduling, then you should try RVS Lite 2011 which will serve the requirement, provide multi-disk virtualization, and comes with its own LAN based console if needed.

You should still however uninstall Avira, install RVS Lite 2011, and then reinstall Avira as the AV can work to interfere with proper install and uninstall when it is installed before RSS/RVS...

Mike

5. janetb

janetb Registered Member

With a "Minimum order of 5 seats", one of the free virtual mode machines (VirtualBox) seems a better choice....:)....Does RVS Lite 2011 have any advantages over the free apps? Five seat minimum does not sound like a home user app....

Janet
    [I got Returnil System Safe Pro 2011 as a free promotion.]
    [I didn't want to totally disable it, but rather to be able to turn it on and off. Wouldn't want to have to go to Windows component services every time I wanted to use the program...:)....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.