can't remove filechecker

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by ironman556, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironman556

ironman556 Guest

hi, i've had filechecker 1.4 on my pc for a while, came to remove it and it's not in add/remove programs, instead there's a huge black/grey gap where the entry should be. I thought i'd try downloading and installing 1.7 to see if I could remove it, but that's also vanished and has no uninstall link.

Can anyone tell me how I should remove the program and the gap from add/remove?

I'm running XP.

Thanks.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hmmm....I'm not sure about the gap....but I suppose you could see if it will clear by running the uninstall file :doubt:

C:\Program Files\FileChecker\unins000.exe

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi ironman556,

There was a thread here where a member (bigbuck) also had a problem with a huge gap appearing in the Add/Remove Programs applet. You might want to read through this link, and specifically the fix he followed that worked for him in Post #14:

This thread: SP2 Add/Remove Programs Prob

Let us know if anything from that thread is helpful.

Regards,

snap

4. ironman556

ironman556 Guest

Thanks looked at the post and tried the method through command prompt with no luck.

Tried Puff-m-d's post and it worked, here's the steps:

I have come up with a solution that worked for me. Try the following:
    1. Bring up your add/remove programs control panel. Make note of the entry both before and after the gap as you will need this info later.
    2. Click "start", "run", and "regedit".
    3. Navigate to the following key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\".
    4. Look thru this key and see if you have an entry between the two entries you noted earlier in step # 1. This entry (where the gap appears in add/remove programs control panel) has become corrupt for some reason. Highlight and delete this entry.
    5. Close regedit.
    6. Go back to you add/remove programs control panel and check. The gap should now be gone.

I then found the uninstall file and used that to remove the program. Thanks everyone!

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Glad to hear you were able to fix the gap in the Add/Remove Programs, ironman556.

Thank you for letting us know. :)

Regards,

snap

6. ironman556

ironman556 Guest

one thing i forgot to say.

When looking at the registry I had a lot of {hex number here} entries, but after them came programs listed by name. I worked out it was filechecker causing the problem by looking at the programs either side of the gap and browsing my installed programs until i found one that fell after "ford racing" and before "e", filechecker. The entries in the registry aren't in the same order as in add/remove, so i just found and deleted the filechecker entry.

Hope you can make senso of that.

7. codercc

codercc Guest

8. Commie

Commie Guest

I had a similar problem and just wanted to share my experience. It does seem that 1 program causes all this, and it's not the same program every time. I used the software found here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html

This is an uninstaller program that seems to notice the 'missing' program from the windows add/remove window. Just compare the list of programs using that program and the list of programs in your own add/remove window and uninstall the program that's missing. No messing around with the registry needed and it cleanly gets rid of all the program installation files.

Hope that helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.