Can't remove directory contents

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by wat0114, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I've got this really stubborn directory on my backup drive that I can't get rid of. It's a corrupt backup image I created a while ago using Clonezilla. I've managed to rename it but have found no way to rid its contents, even though I'm running terminal as root and chmod 777'ed the folder. input/output errors persist every time I try with rm -f cmd. Does anyone know a way to force this thing down the drain? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Hi, wat0114,

Maybe rm -rf
    The 'r'= recursively.

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I would unmount, remount the path and try again.
    Mrk

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thanks Ocky, but unfortunately that didn't work :(

Hi mack_guy, I also tried that but same errors as in the ss.

Well, before getting to these suggestions, I re-booted and Windows chkdsk ran on my backup drive (X) during boot, and saw something about "restored orphaned files (listed all the files in the directory)", then when logged in I was able to delete the contents then the folder within Windows explorer, so good news after all :)

Thank you all for your help :) Next time I will try the orther suggestions because I'd certainly like to be able to do this within Linux as well.

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I once stopped a CloneZilla cloning while in progress and the same thing happened to me. I never dreamed it would lock the files up like that (this was on a thumb drive). I also had to change over to Windows (7) to fix the problem. Well, at least I learned something from that experience...don't stop it once commenced. :). Took me quite a while to correct that blunder, if I recall correctly.

Later....

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Similar thing happened to me, except I was doing a drive-drive clone and Clonezilla, after getting about hal finished, couldn't see one of the partitions, or something to that effect, so it just bailed.